The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Stephanie

Newbie questions

Would someone be able to walk me through on how to remove:

*The parking break pedal
*The ignition key cylinder or whatever it is called
*The stick shift (our 1950 truck has 4 on the floor)

Thank you in advance! Much appreciated for any advice

1950 Army Chevy 3100 build: The Chester Chronicles

Proud Army Wife!
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
swizzlestick

Re: Newbie questions

service manual. i bet most on here have this Amazon.com: 1948 1949 1950 CHEVY PICKUP TRUCK... Amazon.com: 1948 1949 1950 CHEVY PICKUP TRUCK...
swizzlestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
OrrieG

From memory, parking brake pedal: no clue. Ignition cylinder, usually with the key in put it in off and there should be a little hole in the face, use a paper clip or small wire, push and cylinder should pull out. Goes back in with the key in place reverse. Floor speed lever, at the bottom is an inverted cup that goes into the cast piece that should twist about 1/8 turn one way or the other (usually CCW) and pull up. I had one with the tabs broken off that got interesting if you did not remember to keep pressure on it. I can't remember if you have to push down and twist or just twist.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
From memory, parking brake pedal: no clue. Ignition cylinder, usually with the key in put it in off and there should be a little hole in the face, use a paper clip or small wire, push and cylinder should pull out. Goes back in with the key in place reverse. Floor speed lever, at the bottom is an inverted cup that goes into the cast piece that should twist about 1/8 turn one way or the other (usually CCW) and pull up. I had one with the tabs broken off that got interesting if you did not remember to keep pressure on it. I can't remember if you have to push down and twist or just twist.
push downand twist.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Stephanie

Ah! Our service manual got here, so I am looking through it. Thank you very much for the tips OrrieG!

Now, question, can you get the ignition cylinder out without a key???? Because we don't have one... :-/

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
ricott

Regarding the Ignition switch, you need a key because when you place the paperclip in the tinyhole, you have to turn the key to get the cylinder to release and pop out. I had to cut mine using a hacksaw on a 55 Pickup that I recently worked on (and I bet the earlier ones are the same.) Regarding the 4 speed stick - as Orrie said, you have to push down and rotate to get the cup to release from the pins. As I recall, it has a pretty stiff spring, so it takes some effort to push down. Good luck on the project!
Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
mr48chev

The story goes that Chevrolet only used about a dozen or so keys in those days so if you don't have on the chances of finding one that will work the switch are pretty good. I never throw an old automotive key away but keep about a hundred of them on a big wire ring. On old Chevrolet trucks Old worn out GM ignition keys are your best friends.

That factory shop manual will pay you back in full the first time you use it. It is written so it is very easy to read and understand.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The story goes that Chevrolet only used about a dozen or so keys in those days so if you don't have on the chances of finding one that will work the switch are pretty good. I never throw an old automotive key away but keep about a hundred of them on a big wire ring. On old Chevrolet trucks Old worn out GM ignition keys are your best friends.

That factory shop manual will pay you back in full the first time you use it. It is written so it is very easy to read and understand.

You wouldn't' happen to have an old key that you are willing to send our way, would you?? Hehe :P
Or would you know of any place to look for a key, aside from ebay? Phil is contemplating just drilling it out... :-/

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
OrrieG

I worked as a mechanic in a service station in Phoenix in the 70's. It was by the airport and we did a lot of lock out service. You are right we had about 6 GM masters that would open any GM car from the 50's to when they went to column locks. I remember the whole ring only had about 40 keys on it to cover all makes. He would not let me make a copy and kept it in the safe. I have kept every key for every vehicle I ever owned and got probably a couple of hundred more from my Dad.

I know on my Eldo column there was a code stamped on the cylinder that the locksmith looked up to cut a blank. I can't remember if the older chevys were coded. Do you have the door key, might be the same. Worst case is the lock assemblies are not that expensive to replace.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I worked as a mechanic in a service station in Phoenix in the 70's. It was by the airport and we did a lot of lock out service. You are right we had about 6 GM masters that would open any GM car from the 50's to when they went to column locks. I remember the whole ring only had about 40 keys on it to cover all makes. He would not let me make a copy and kept it in the safe. I have kept every key for every vehicle I ever owned and got probably a couple of hundred more from my Dad.

I know on my Eldo column there was a code stamped on the cylinder that the locksmith looked up to cut a blank. I can't remember if the older chevys were coded. Do you have the door key, might be the same. Worst case is the lock assemblies are not that expensive to replace.

No, we have no key at all :-/ I will try and look and see if there is a code at all. Thank you for that suggestion

That is a really neat story though, about your dad and the key ring! So amazing that the keys were the same for so many makes Must be some nice memories as well with all the keys that you have collected

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Russell Ashley

I have removed a cylinder when I didn't have a key by drilling, grinding, filing, etc, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I've never had an AD truck but looking at the pics in the catalog http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/stor...Category_ID=29
the switch looks pretty simple. It's also cheap. If you are planning on keeping it original you will probably be better off to go ahead and buy a new one along with the new cylinder. The old one is probably pretty well worn by now anyway.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
solidaxel

Here is a old Indian trick I learned back in the 60's.
Does your truck have a glove box, if so take the lock out and take it to a lock smith and have him cut a key for it.
You may also take the door panel from the passenger side off and remove the lock cylinder and have a key cut for it.
In "Most" cases they have not changed the ingition switch so either one of them should work, as there was only one key back in the 50's.
Try it!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Here is a old Indian trick I learned back in the 60's.
Does your truck have a glove box, if so take the lock out and take it to a lock smith and have him cut a key for it.
You may also take the door panel from the passenger side off and remove the lock cylinder and have a key cut for it.
In "Most" cases they have not changed the ingition switch so either one of them should work, as there was only one key back in the 50's.
Try it!
Ah! That is a genius idea! We will definitely be trying this, thank you so much!

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
mr48chev

Stephanie I'd have to check my keys against the locks in the 51 Cabs I have. They used the same blank for a lot of years. The key that usually works is too worn out for the ebay sellers to want to fool with it and it may take several tries before you find one that you can wiggle just right to get the switch to turn. I'll check and see what I have tomorrow though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote