The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
kuzco

66 Chevy Vin Location

Hey,

I have an unusual problem here.

I bought a truck from my grandfather (not thinking to look for the VIN as I didn't think he'd screw me over), so, after I fixed the truck up, some guys came to look at it and buy it, but, said they wouldn't because the VIN tag was missing on the driver door jamb.

So, they suggested matching the title to the VIN number on the frame (last 6 digits) but it didn't match the VIN on the frame.

They then suggested matching the VIN number to the glove box and it didn't match due to the glove box was changed. The motor had also been changed, so, it didn't match the motor's VIN number.

So, am I stuck with a piece of junk or is there another location for the VIN number I can check for?

Thanks.
kuzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Woogeroo

Re: 66 Chevy Vin Location

On these 60-66 trucks, the frame rail VIN and the door jamb VIN are supposed to be the same, at least back when they were new.

Check here for some more info. and photos:

60-66 Index FAQ

Where is my 60-66 Chevy or GMC vin number?

----

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
kuzco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
On these 60-66 trucks, the frame rail VIN and the door jamb VIN are supposed to be the same, at least back when they were new.

Check here for some more info. and photos:

60-66 Index FAQ

Where is my 60-66 Chevy or GMC vin number?

----

-W
Hey

That doesn't help me any, the door jamb VIN number was removed and never put back on, the frame doesn't match the title, like it should.

Is there any other places the VIN can be besides the glove box, door jamb, motor, and frame?

Thank you.

Last edited by kuzco; 07-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.
kuzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If the VIN on the frame doesn’t match the title and the other tags/numbers are missing, the title you’re holding has no legal association with the truck, meaning you don’t have a legitimate title for it. Even if there’s another hidden VIN on the frame, it will almost certainly match the incorrect frame numbers you already located.

If your grandfather has a lengthy paperwork history on the truck, or performed a body or frame swap and has all of that title information as well, the only real option is to take everything you have to the DMV and ask them to issue a new VIN. Most authorities will assign a new state issued id number, if the titled owner can prove the legality of what they are inspecting. Unfortunately, if nothing can be proven, or the numbers on the frame come back as belonging to a stolen vehicle, the truck will most likely be confiscated.

Decades ago a lot of hot rodders and restorers use to remove VIN tags to paint underneath and reinstall them when finished. Today it can result in losing the vehicle. DMV records and the thoroughness of VIN inspections have become increasingly sophisticated which is why news stories keep popping up about vehicles stolen back in the 60’s and 70’s now being identified and returned to their original owners. This often results in great financial loss for the people that may have legally purchased the stolen vehicle and enjoyed ownership all those years.

Leaving the VIN tag attached has never been more important than right now. If the tag is missing, the owner cannot prove the body hasn't been switched with one that was stolen. I've been reading about everything from a one owner MG to a $65,000 Chevelle being confiscated because the VIN tag was missing.

Last edited by markeb01; 07-01-2012 at 01:38 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Shooters_7

Ask gramps about the story on the truck and see if he knew what you know now. Maybe this will bring up some memories why the truck is missing the vin or where he put the actual vin plate. Good luck!
Shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

there are no more spots for the vin.
you need to try filing for a missing title using the vin on the frame.
duble check the "where is my vin thread" and make sure you are matching to the right # on the frame rail, there is a part # stamped on the side of the frame rail that sometimes gets confused as a vin #
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote