The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
twouvakind

Bed liner-do or don't?

I went to a small car show put on the the Lions club Saturday and saw both a 66 and 68 C-10 with spray in bedliners. The 68 was color matched perfectly the 66 was black. What is your take on a spray on or bed liners in general?
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
buz48

Re: Bed liner-do or don't?

I have a 70 C/10 stepside and I that I rolled on bed liner and I like it
Buz 48
buz48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
CC69Rat

I dont like them personally .. if you ever get a deep scratch in them they can let water get between the liner and the painted surface and rust out.

Yeah, it would take 10 years, but still. .. just sayin.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
GuyO

What is my take on a spray on or bed liners in general? I prefer bedliners for the obvious reasons of protecting the bed but I recently went with a slide in type Duraliner. I have had spray ons before on other trucks such as Rhino liner, but they get dirty and they are difficult to clean. Also, sometimes I prefer to "slide" things such as our fly fishing pontoon rafts. Spray on/Roll on's are more difficult when handling materials in my opinion. G.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
twouvakind

Never thought of the cleaning aspect of a spray/roll on, interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyO View Post
What is my take on a spray on or bed liners in general? I prefer bedliners for the obvious reasons of protecting the bed but I recently went with a slide in type Duraliner. I have had spray ons before on other trucks such as Rhino liner, but they get dirty and they are difficult to clean. Also, sometimes I prefer to "slide" things such as our fly fishing pontoon rafts. Spray on/Roll on's are more difficult when handling materials in my opinion. G.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
twouvakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I dont like them personally .. if you ever get a deep scratch in them they can let water get between the liner and the painted surface and rust out.

Yeah, it would take 10 years, but still. .. just sayin.
I hear you, these trucks are great rusting without any additional help. Is there a way that water can pool under a Duraliner style bed liner? I guess it could if the vehicle just sat.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
k2rm

I had a duraliner style slide in liner for about 10 years before my restore. When I pulled it out, I had rust everywhere where the liner touched the paint. The constant flexing of the bed caused abrasion between the liner and bed and wore down the paint, which led to rust.

I had a linex liner installed after my restoration and love it. I have no problems cleaning it and it is very tough.
Attached Images

k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
ryanmctee

I have the Raptor spray in kit patiently waiting in the garage for me to put in my 72 bed. Obvisouly I like them. I'm going to use the bed of my truck like it was intended and figured the liner is cheaper and tougher than regular paint. Also, I'm going to put in a rubber bed mat as well.... Just my $.02
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
custom1970

Years ago I had a Rhino Linear sprayed into the bed, the bed was in pretty bad shape and at the time this was much cheaper than restoring the bed. I've re-painted it a few times and it is still doing ok. I did have to cut out one rust bubble and re-seal the area. My problem with it is, once you put it in, it's there for good. I recently installed a mahogany wood bed over top of the linear to clean up the look of it. But, now my hauling days are pretty much over...

If you are going to use your truck to haul stuff then it's great. If your going for a "show" look then no don't do it.
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
jocko

I tend to agree with custom1970 on this -

Depends on what you personally want to do with your truck. I personally don't like the spray or roll-on liners in our old trucks, but then again, I have one in my 01 chev. i.e. fun truck vs. work truck.

Of those available, I think a color-matched Linex is the best looking of all of them. But, all things being equal, I prefer earlier trucks to have no liner at all.

I look at it this way - if the truck is a 100 point restoration - then definitely don't put a liner - it does detract from the value of a truck if someone is looking at the truck as a future resto project. If it's NOT a 100 point restoration, then I'm perfectly fine with an avg looking (scratched and used) bed because it's a truck!

So, I normally don't like em. BUT, if gonna use an old truck as a dd, then I think there are benefits to having them.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom1970 View Post
Years ago I had a Rhino Linear sprayed into the bed, the bed was in pretty bad shape and at the time this was much cheaper than restoring the bed. I've re-painted it a few times and it is still doing ok. I did have to cut out one rust bubble and re-seal the area. My problem with it is, once you put it in, it's there for good. I recently installed a mahogany wood bed over top of the linear to clean up the look of it. But, now my hauling days are pretty much over...

If you are going to use your truck to haul stuff then it's great. If your going for a "show" look then no don't do it.
I like that idea. as mine had some type of liner and they TRIED to get it off.. with a d/a ,etc.. I think a new color matched liner and then a fake wood bed might be just the ticket..
E.Furgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
custom1970

I was pretty happy with the way mine came out. I painted the linear (bed sides and wheel wells) to match the truck, bought original style bed metal rails (polished SS) made the wood same size as it would have been if factory. Basically the weight keeps it from moving around, I made it so it could be somewhat easily removed if needed.
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
70cst

Should you or should you not? Lots of good answers. For my truck it would be a no but then again I have a 71 take off bed that is on my truck. If I had a DD than yes. Your call
Posted via Mobile Device

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
twich3136

haven't done so yet but ill be hauling dirt bikes, quads, and camping gear a lot with my longhorn so i plan on doing a diamond plate floor and spray in or roll on bed liner. if i can get it right and keep the liner off the tops of the diamonds it'll add a cool look of the diamond pattern with the liner in between for added grip and durability. and to top it off some counter sunk polished ss tie down hooks.

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
twouvakind

What prep is involved in the linex application? Does an approved contractor apply it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rm View Post
I had a duraliner style slide in liner for about 10 years before my restore. When I pulled it out, I had rust everywhere where the liner touched the paint. The constant flexing of the bed caused abrasion between the liner and bed and wore down the paint, which led to rust.

I had a linex liner installed after my restoration and love it. I have no problems cleaning it and it is very tough.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
k2rm

A linex shop does it. All I did was clean it and they did the rest. They asked which holes I wanted covered up and which to leave open. It took several hours
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
zx12rydr

I went with the color-matched version from Line-X. I like it so far.
Attached Images

TH400

Rims - Coys
Front -20x8.5
Rear - 20x14

Tires
Front - 265-35-20, BFG KDW 2
Rear - 31-18-20, MICKEY THOMPSONS
zx12rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
1955 mancave

i have rhino in my 2000 silverado and i love it , since i just got my 64 flatbed i think i will do the same on this build but being az i'm not sure yet what color yet.
1955 mancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyO View Post
I recently went with a slide in type Duraliner.
Does somebody sell a slide in bed-liner for a short/fleet '67-'72 bed? I looked pretty hard for one awhile back and couldn't find one. All I see is late model listings on DURALINER's site.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #20
twouvakind

Nice product and they really come close with their color matching. Alas, my truck is black. Gonna shop for a price, the line-x is really growing on me.