The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
chucks70

Question Couple 292 ?s

Trying to get the engine together. Alt. is not lining up with the water pump pulley. Balancer is 2 pulley, water pump lines up with the outermost groove and the alt. with the inner. Anybody got some pics of the correct brackets or alignment. Don't think I can get a water pump pulley to line up with the inner groove due to cleance issues with hoses.

Next question. Is it necessary to moung the volt. regulator in rubber bushings. When I took it off the old rad. support the old mounts disintegrated.

I don't think this truck originally had a power booster on the brakes. The air cleaner does not fit now because the booster is in the way. Anybody got some good pictures of a 292 together?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Gordo

Smile

I believe the inner pulley on the balancer was meant for power steering if equipped.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
Rod

six cylinders with Power brakes had different type air cleaner set up. Also there was an oil bath type also, but this is the air filter type.
Attached Images

72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:20 AM   #4
chucks70

Well looks like I'm going junkyardin again. Anybody else on my other problems. (No psychiatrists please)

Thanks for the picture.
Chuck
Old 10-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
oldsub86

I don't have any magic answers but I had the same problem that you are having. My pulleys did not line up and I looked around and tried to find a different harmonic balancer without much success. My truck has a rebuilt engine and I wondered if the remanufactured engine was somehow different from the original engine. If they got a remanufactured short or long block that was slightly different and then used the accessories off of the original engine they might have ended up with some issues. I am guessing that is what happened. My solution is a bit "Rube Goldberg" but it has worked alright for the past 18 years or so. I had the nose on the harmonic balancer turned down - shortened by about 1/4 inch to make the balancer pulley line up with the water pump pulley. I also had to cut a bit out of the alternator on the one side and then shim the other side of it with washers to move the alternator back into alignment with the other 2 pulleys.
It may be that the water pump is the culprit since it is the one that I made the other two match to. In any event, 18 years ago I was not thinking classic truck. I was thinking cheap truck and not looking to spend any fortune patching this issue up. It may not have been the best solution in the long run but it has worked. Keep us posted if you find a better solution.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

My 250 had two grooves on the balencer waterpump and alternator It ran two belts Not sure if this helps.
Attached Images

GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
chucks70

Question

Thanks for the pic of the 292. That must be the oil bath style air filter. My problem seems to be the alternater not lining up, may have to shim it. I was at a junyard today and most 6's did not have the water hose that goes from the pump to the thermostat housing. Did find one old one with the same front and the belt was in the groove closest to the engine so I grabbed the pulley. Got home took mine off to find a 1/4" shim behind my pulley. Depth of both pulleys was the same. Tried both pulleys without the shim and it lines up with the solid portion on the balancer between the 2 grooves. With the shim the pulleys line up with the outermost groove. This solid portion on the balancer would be wide enough for a 3rd groove.

Maybe there is a different water pump or harmonic balancer on it than original? All the engines in the yard I saw today the alt. lines up with the back groove (closest to the engine) and power steering with the front. Mine does not have power steering.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:58 PM   #8
67sss

I6

With all this 6 stuff and pic does anyone have a pic for the throttle linkage. I have a 70 with a auto hooked to a 250. Yes Rod I'm still looking, took the driveline to the shop today and am having 7 1/2'' taken off the front half., but still having problems with the correct throttle/dedent cable.
Thanks
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
Dusti
Not Dusti,just Bob

My pulley don't line up on the alternator either,it is back about 1/2 inch.I think I have seen other posts about this in the past,must be some factory f%ck up?.
My crank pully has 3 grooves and lines up just fine with the water pump grooves.

Bob W
Old 10-01-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

IT'S THAT BOTTOM ALTERNATOR BRACKET!

I bought a 68 model 6 cylinder from a board member and put it in my 70 model truck. That little lower alternator bracket that bolts to the block with two bolts is the problem. There are two different ones. They position the alternator about 1/4 inch either forward or backward, depending on which one you use. I laid them both next to each other when I had the exact same problem. When I put the right one on, everything went perfect.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier and save youze guys some grief.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:46 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If anyone is still having questions, I can take mine off the truck tomorrow and lay them next to each other and get a picture to clarify if needed.