The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
FAT TONY

questions about clutch

Alright so after a long time of doing a first time clutch replacement i finally got the job done, but i have got a couple questions.... first off how should the truck take off when releasing the clutch? i was going out for a test drive today and nearly snapped my neck when i released the clutch, that thing just took off so violently, i was pulling out the drive way and i barley released it a little and it was trying to fly, good thing it turned off on me before reaching the road, on my little test drive she turned off at about the first five stop signs before i kind of got the hang of it, i kind off miss my burnt clutch were it would take off slow and calm, so my question is this, how should the truck take off when releasing the clutch should it kick and go or should it start off slow kinda normal?.. i dont know if im over exaggerating cause im just not use to driving with a good clutch or if there might be something wrong with it.... secondly i noticed that when releasing the clutch there is kind of a sliding noise , i dont know weather it is from the engine or the trans but is sound kind of like when you rub two sheets of paper back and fourth on each other i noticed that it only sounds like that at take off but once you are in a steady speed you cant really hear it any comments or tips are appreciated
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
brokenspoke

Re: questions about clutch

how much free play do you have? sounds like its not adjusted right....you should be able to push the clutch pedal in about 3/4 inch before it starts to push throwout bearing
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
FAT TONY

well in this case it goes down about half way and then engages the clutch, ive adjusted the rod nearly as long as it gets so im not sure if it can get adjusted any more......... also another thing i forgot to mention is when i was tightening the bolts on the pressure plate to the fly wheel the teeth that are on the inside of the pressure plate closed and im not sure if that is normal or not
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
brokenspoke

Try adjusting the rod the other way.....
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
FAT TONY

shortening it towards the trans?....... i adjusted it towards the front of the truck... wouldn't shortening it give it more free play?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
ChuckW

Like Brokenspoke said.... You should only have about 3/4" free play in the pedal before it gets "firm". You're sure you installed the new though-out bearing properly on the fork....
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If the free play cannot be adjusted, there could be something wrong inside the bellhousing.

1. The inner end of the clutch fork may not be engaging the collar on the throwout bearing.

2. The throwout bearing may be the wrong one. There are two different types of diaphragm pressure plates – one with spring fingers that stick up above the surface of the pressure plate shell, and the other type where the fingers are almost flat. The high fingers use a short bearing and the flat type uses a long bearing. It you were provided with the wrong throwout bearing, it will never adjust correctly.

3. The clutch plate could have been installed backwards. It should be marked “this side toward flywheel”.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
FAT TONY

i installed the throughout bearing the way i seen it on the internet, the bigger, thicker part towards the flywheel with the smaller part towards the back and the fork went into the grove but also i noticed the grove were the fork fit into wasn't round, it looked more like a cam loab were its round and then comes to a sort of point

on mine the diaphragm fingers stuck up but as i started to tighten it they started geting flatter and going in

as for the clutch plate i seen no marking of this side towards flywheel but i looked around on other post and it said the part sticking up goes towards the transmission and the flat side goes towards the flywheel
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
FAT TONY

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
FAT TONY

alright i got her on the road today, it went pretty well but i really need to get a new bracket later today im going to a friends house to see if we can weld something up to use , also i kinda of got the clutch pedal about right but noticed that when i press it all the way down it makes a odd noise, also my transmission makes like a grinding noise after im going a steady speed and start slowing down right before a complete stop is when it makes that grinding noise, on my way to my friends house ill try to record a video to kind of show the way that it shifts and the different noises it makes