The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
4Eyedtruck

Motor Decisions I need opinions

Hello all kind of new here I have a 59 Apache stepside i recently aquired and now am looking at motors for it and I need some opinions on what I should do. I Plan on cruising this thing on some trips and to shows so gas mileage is somewhat a concern but not major. I have a brother in law that used to be into mud drags and has some motors he said he would give me a 350sbc , 400sbc and a 454bb he said i could have if i wanted so im kinda stuck on what to do i had originally planned to just buy a crate motor and go that route then I found this build on a zz4 and am thinking that might be the route to go buy a short block to stage 4

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...d/viewall.html

Im wanting to keep my power brakes and add vintage air and keep my 700r4 for the overdrive my truck is already set up for a small block so Im kind of wanting to keep it that way but not opposed to the big block really either. I have thought of getting the 350 block and going to a 383 stroker with it and im really just not knowledgeable with the 400sbc so any opinions are welcome maybe yall could sway me one way or the other.

Would love this truck to beat my buddys silverado ss awd with cai blackbear tune and a small cam. but not looking to build a pure drag truck more of a cruiser that can beat him and surprise a few mustangs and camaros and still drive to the coast and back if I want to
4Eyedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Re: Motor Decisions I need opinions

put a I6 in it

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you just want a cruiser, the 350 is the way to go. If you are wanting to win a race or two, then either the SB400 or the 454 is what you would want. If you go with the latter, that 700R4 won't hold up long unless it is already built to handle that much torque, but even then.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Boogie_Man

Your friend's truck probably runs a mid to high 14 in the quarter. With what you've given us, my opinion would be to either grab that zz4 or build a 383. You're already set up for a small block and you can make plenty of power plus you won't necessarily have to ditch the 700r4 (although if you're after power, it's not a terrible idea). That 700r4 would be nice for cruising behind a mild small block.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

http://www.racingjunk.com/Street/222...ER-CRATE-.html just one of the too many to list examples of what you an get turn key 100% ready to go..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
4Eyedtruck

I am really leaning towards the small block for now and maybe saving that big block for later if needed or another project also should mention that I plan on going with the TCI streetfighter 700r4 any experience with these? they are a local company I figured if I had problems I could always knock on the door i really like the idea of the zz4 build mainly because comp and rhs are also local to me and its a new bottom end. Could I add a Pill to that build if needed or is that asking to much from that motor ?

That is a nice website GMR never knew it existed

I like a big block but im kind of impatient lol small block would let me get my build done faster any more opinions are welcome though I think I Flip flop every other day
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Nos in my opinion is a great add on item for the track days.. hands down the cheapest power adder. a 100 hit will be fine and no mods would be needed, other than a slight dial back on timing.

BBC are very cool, however they take there toll on parts and the tq they put out at the low rpm will find the weak link very fast. As well fitting one in is not a direct swap in these trucks. A mild small block wil a fun ride, add a small kit and it becomes very fast..
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

How much show, how much GO is just as matter of how much BUDGET. Theres not a racer/show car builder here that won't tell you this is a rather expensive hobby. And in this economy return on your dollar should you wnat to sell is only about 30¢ on the dollar right now.

All that said because this should be something you go into with your eyes wide open with the budget in mind, and do it EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WANT TO. How I'd build it, how GMC would build it, The Captian, FastWillie.... that would be OUR dream. You really need to set your own goals and dreams for it or it will very likely become a CHORE, not a PROJECT you enjoy.

The small block (in clone version) is probably going to be around for most of our lives,, some of the youngins may see it pass into the history books, but be aware,, it's been dead for over 15 years and were just carrying it's clone around because it was probably the most popular motor EVER. From a show car standpoint a small block even with wild hilborn injection stacks sticking through the hood doesn't grab the eye like it did 50 yerars ago.

Big blocks are becoming a rareity,, everyone does big blocks and drapes a big blower over them for bling bling effect. It's been done to death.

Where does that leave you.... the LS motors as far as GM goes that is. But the LS design and aftermarket have yet to come up with a really esthetically appealing motor IMO. I'm sure it will come, but honestly today the LS is about bufugly at most every angle except the DYNO sheet for $ invested.

The 'resto-rod' appealed to me when I built my ElCamino and still does. I built with the stock 327, but added EFI and digital dash, 700r with a hi-tec lockup control, radios for old cars with hidden Ipod controls,, everything the current century could offer hidden into a stock looking shell. because that's WHAT I WANTED.

This latest craze of 'pitina-rod' and 'rat-rod' is cool, but just not my thing,, is it yours??? The point of all this is... the build should be something ENJOYABLE and relaxing,, a hobby and building something your proud of. Something YOU created.
Pick what YOU want to see in your Apache and make it happen. THAT's my suggestion. If you need help building the motor or trans or any piece,, sure there is plenty of help here. But the 'which one' I really thing ought to be YOUR dream. Gawd knows building one of these things is challanging enough is patients, time and $. So make SURE it's YOUR dream,, not someone elses.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I did not go into the LS side Marv understands where I am on that topic 100%.. I am a power guy.. My opinion is to buy a used ls3 kit add a 413 stroker kit.. and run a 4l60E trans with the stand alone a set of KOOKS long tubes.. and go out and kick some major azz where every you go.. To me the LS is the hottest version of a SBC you can get.. If you want a hot old gen SBC you run 18* heads .. the 23* stuff that is stock on them has its issues.. well a LS is just that 18* heads, 6 bolt mains. etc..

I feel GM did us a favor with the LS and if I had to do my build over LS stroked would have been the way to go.. BUT I had a ton of left over parts from the dead 383 and I used what I had to save money..

Do it once the way you want it.. its your build and I feel Marv touched on some very good points..

Many places sell the crate LS engines in both non and stroked versions.. Laying down 500+ rwhp is a walk in the park with these engines.. It may or may not be what you want.. But they are extremely durable in stock form as well upgraded form.. BTW ask marv what engine he has in his sand rail LMAO!!!

Sorry Marv but you know how well that engine pulls and runs.. you can brake other parts but the engine just keeps on going!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Yup, agreed 100% I'm already gathering up parts and pieces for my next project. Don't know what it will be chassis wise, but it will have one of them ugly LSx motors with boost. If it's street then just a couple of small turbos and EFI,, otherwise I've got a buddy in SoCal who is getting out of PSCA and has a brand new 83mm, electronic wastegate, V-band clamps, a pile of aluminum tubing and a Dominator hat for a blowthrough setup ...
1000HP is a cakewalk for a little boost and 417,, or some decent allpro heads n/a would make 800 n/a a hell of a lot easier than I did with the 434.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Again we agree on that 100% these LS engines make BBC power without the size or the weight, end of the day less money to build these than the older generation of engines..

My pick would be the 500 CI LS engine high price but they make power like a small engine with twin hair dryers LOL then if you where to add the turbos well you know... just more power to break more parts.. that for me is just a pipe dream never gonna happen.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If you have to take one of the motors he's gonna give you (heck I'd take one and leave it in the garage just incase)....IF the 400 hasn't been rebuilt or bored over before, I'd take that. If it has, walk away.

If you really want to build big power, and keep the weight down or the mileage decent, you'll find an LS motor is gonna be the option. I don't regret going LS for one second; and as costs for parts keep coming down (and all the used goodies you can find), its sometimes hard NOT to want to suggest an LS motor.

Junkyard 5.3, cam with supporting rods and springs, turbo - enjoy. A member or two here has that combo, and I've seen plenty more running sick numbers, even on a sub-5/6K$ budget.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If you have to take one of the motors he's gonna give you (heck I'd take one and leave it in the garage just incase)....IF the 400 hasn't been rebuilt or bored over before, I'd take that. If it has, walk away.

If you really want to build big power, and keep the weight down or the mileage decent, you'll find an LS motor is gonna be the option. I don't regret going LS for one second; and as costs for parts keep coming down (and all the used goodies you can find), its sometimes hard NOT to want to suggest an LS motor.

Junkyard 5.3, cam with supporting rods and springs, turbo - enjoy. A member or two here has that combo, and I've seen plenty more running sick numbers, even on a sub-5/6K$ budget.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
4Eyedtruck

I actually have a 5.3 out of a 02 silverado sitting in the garage that had 30,000 miles on it when pulled and was running fine im just not very educated on swapping them but am reading up on them I know they are the hot ticket right now for sure but im a little scared of wiring one in and everything else that goes along with that swap but im not opposed to it either my brother keeps trying to convince me to do it and turbo it but im a little more old school i like n/a and if needed a little
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

then run spray on the 5.3, works just as well. If you really want, you can run one carbed with a 4150 style plate and keep things OG like you like it!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
djracer

Ls for a cruiser with good power. Fat motor for all out race! Just my opinion and you know what that's worth.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
GMR-PERFORMANCE

How about a 5.3 with a whipple.. not old school but they will put down an easy 500 to the rear wheels.. LOL with nothing else done to them.. My buddy has a basic 1/2 truck standard cab.. it is so plain jane you would never give it a second look.. until you maybe see the M&H rear tires.. other than that you are in for a world of shock when he drops the hammer..

I know it has run down in the mid 11's .. but he got DQ''d for lack of proper saftey items.. he bought the truck for next to nothing shot it white, tinted the glass and install the S/C .. BTW it has 135,000 miles on it and he hammers it hard every where he goes.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #18
4Eyedtruck

I have been contemplating the 5.3 anyone have a link to a good write up on all that would be required to swap that in? I know the msd 6010 and headers and motor mounts and an intake for the carb but after that im kinda lost but that swap would save me some coin for sure and that coin could be put towards performance also does anyone have an idea what my truck would weigh in street trim camaro front clip and 4-link and coilover rear 4 wheel disc brakes other than that the rest is pretty stock
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Car craft, hot rodding popular hot rodding ALL have done these.. but this is a site that you will a few from here on as well.

The 5.3 is a nice engine however unless its free or really cheap the larger LS engine is a better build for a N/A engine.. I picked up 3 LS3 ( 6.2) about a year and half ago for 1500 each.. Sold off the other two to pay for the build.. Look around and you will find them..

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...de-1500-a.html
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #20
Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
LS design and aftermarket have yet to come up with a really esthetically appealing motor IMO. I'm sure it will come, but honestly today the LS is about bufugly at most every angle except the DYNO sheet for $ invested.

Simmer down there buddy.. There are a few out there that are much more sexy looking than the rest. I just need to relocate my coils
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
GMR-PERFORMANCE

TOO funny.. Ole marv thinks there fugly and you get upset.. ( I know your kidding) .. Marv I agree they can be a bit busy .......................................

.. Busy making some serious azz power LMAO!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Super73

Got to give him a bad time when I can
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
Billett

just thought I'd toss in my 0.02. I love the ls engines and when I was looking into doing a swap in my s10 I found that you can usually find super cheap deals on an lq4 and then swap in and out some fairly cheap parts to make a monster of a motor. Just to name a few if you get the lq4 you can add on: ls2 throttle body, l92/ls6 heads, ls3/l76 intake, lq9 pistons. And those are all things you can get on the cheap at swap meets. I have a 350 in my 68, but once I get the money I'm going LS. The amount of power you get for the price is unbeatable.

Also, whoever said ls engines are ugly here is an lq4 on an s10 frame

Billett is offline   Reply With Quote