The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
cmyc5575

Dumb question!?!?!?!?

Im pretty mechanically inclined when you ask me to take something apart but have not worked on very many vehicles. i have an 82 gmc high sierra with the orginial 305, can some one post a pic of describe where I pour the oil into?? i bought penzoil 10w-30
cmyc5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Dumb question!?!?!?!?

No pics, but all GM square body trucks I have had (and all GM vehicles with v8s)
had the filler cap on the right (passenger side) valve cover - midway to near the rear of the cover. Except for some real old vehicles, this is a common location (my 63 split window Corvette had a separate long tube coming up from the engine with a cap on the top - I liked that - easy to fill.)
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

BTW, I am using 10W40 in my old 83 454, and have used that on all square body trucks I have had - but I do live in HotZona. I don't know your circumstance, but I always wait for the sales at O'Reilly, Autozone, etc. and get the oil and cheap filter for free or nearly free -usually get the store credit card which I use on other things like wiper blades, windshield washer fluid, etc., and those items often have manufacturer rebates for cash. I spend very little to nothing on maintenance items. Just some tips to a fellow forum member. I have 8 filters and 4 cases of oil, and 32 spark plugs in the shed now. My truck will probably croak before I use all that up.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
BTW, I am using 10W40 in my old 83 454, and have used that on all square body trucks I have had - but I do live in HotZona. I don't know your circumstance, but I always wait for the sales at O'Reilly, Autozone, etc. and get the oil and cheap filter for free or nearly free -usually get the store credit card which I use on other things like wiper blades, windshield washer fluid, etc., and those items often have manufacturer rebates for cash. I spend very little to nothing on maintenance items. Just some tips to a fellow forum member. I have 8 filters and 4 cases of oil, and 32 spark plugs in the shed now. My truck will probably croak before I use all that up.
Dude thats great Ill look under the hood when i get on break bc at work now and will let you know what I find. thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Pop's C-10

get a funnel unless you got a steedy hand..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
get a funnel unless you got a steedy hand..
Lol ok so i have gotten my first most succesful thing done on my first square!!! i managed to locate them cap(which was located on the passenger side valve cover towards the front of the motor) and pop it off and pour the oil in,,, lol no funnel but i only lost a lil bit from 2 quarts i poured. May be a smelly ride on the way home later tonight from work, but every moment and satisfaction of me being able to do the work myself was great!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
rwhit57

I'm a little concerned here and gonna have a little fun with you at the same time. If you didn't know where to pour it in, how did you know it needed it? You did find the dipstick, right?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit57 View Post
I'm a little concerned here and gonna have a little fun with you at the same time. If you didn't know where to pour it in, how did you know it needed it? You did find the dipstick, right?
LOL!!! yes i knew where the dipstick is at! i check it this morning and it was about a milimeter below add line. according to my dad was a quart and half to two low so i went to buy some after i started it up seem to run a lil smoother lol... i see your concern tho bc i didnt mention that in the above comments that i checked it.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
mopar346

The add line is only a quart down. Rarely will low oil especial just a quart or 2 make an engine run rough.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
The add line is only a quart down. Rarely will low oil especial just a quart or 2 make an engine run rough.
well everytime that it gets low on oil there starts a knock under the hood. and to low of oil can cause you to lose a motor. so let me know what you think may have caused the knock.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
No pics, but all GM square body trucks I have had (and all GM vehicles with v8s)
had the filler cap on the right (passenger side) valve cover - midway to near the rear of the cover. Except for some real old vehicles, this is a common location (my 63 split window Corvette had a separate long tube coming up from the engine with a cap on the top - I liked that - easy to fill.)
Do you know by any chance how to tighten that filler on the valve cover? Mine is extremely loose, it feels like if i tapped it would completely come off.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
raceman6135
Dino burner

If you are noticing that the engine runs smoother with the oil level at or above the "full" line as compared to when it is 1 millimetre below the "add" line, you better save your pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and most importantly dollars, because son, your engine is living on borrowed time.

You said it has the original 305, which strictly means that it has not been rebuilt or repaired, and if that is so, it is likely worn out everywhere: main bearings, rod bearings, camshaft and lifters, rings and pistons, valves, valve guides and valve springs, oil pump .... I think you get the picture.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
raceman6135
Dino burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars View Post
Do you know by any chance how to tighten that filler on the valve cover? Mine is extremely loose, it feels like if i tapped it would completely come off.
I've run into this problem when I picked up an aftermarket oil fill cap that used a thin, springy, brass/copper washer as opposed to the factory style fibre washer.

I replaced the cap with an OEM style cap which used a fibre washer and it was tight again.

So, you can either:
a) replace the cap with a new, factory-style one to see if that fixes it
b) add a fibre washer to your existing cap, which should tighten it
c) bend the tangs on the oil fill cap to tighten up the fit.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote