The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
gmc 2500 4x4

stock rims

i have a '68 gmc 4x4 2500 and was wondering what years are rims interchangable? i was lookin to put on a set from the 80's. the center axle hole is roughly 4 1/2 wide. i heard chevy,ford and dodge rims 8 lug are the same. any thoughts? paul
gmc 2500 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
jocko

Re: stock rims

most 3/4 ton 8 lug rims are the same bolt pattern: 8x6.5, but the question will come down to what diameter you want. 16.5" tires are hard to come by, or at least not in much variety, so that is why most try to transition to 16" wheels do they can have a wider selection of tires.

Ford & Dodge have the same bolt pattern - but there's some discussion about whether they have correct hub opening - or if it even matters. General consensus is that it really doesn't, same type bolts hold them down and the BC is the same, so they work.

Sicklojoie has some great looking 16" wheels on his C20 that are Ford, and many others have mix/match, etc. Can't tell them apart very much, some folks think the vent openings on them look a little different, but I can't tell them apart.

Having said that, I do tend to scour the junkyards for 16" 8 lug wheels from mid-80's chev C20s. These will fit just fine, and were born Chevy's, if that's something you're concerned about. I'm not, but since I will probably have as much luck finding chev wheels around here where I live as I will Ford, that's what I look for.

You are correct - center hole for chev c20 hub should be 4+9/16" (about 4+1/2). I use that roguh measurement in the junkyard to make sure what I'm looking at. If a tire isn't on it where you can easily read the size and confirm it's a 16 and not a 16.5, then make sure to look at the inside of the rim for a size stamp, it will say 16 x 6.50 L or something like that - the numbers are all that matters.

I don't know the exact year of interchangeability. Chev C20s switched to 16" in approx 1980-ish, but earlier trucks have had 16" wheels on them as options for many years I believe. Several members have discussed the fact that their trucks have 16" wheels from the factory in the non-split rim variety. So you kinda just have to look for what you want, measure, and look for the stamp. But the best starting point is every mid-80's 3/4 ton truck/burb, etc in the yards. Good luck.

I do tend to avoid 88+ chevs and early 90's+ Fords because somewhere in there they switched to metric studs/nuts.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
gmc 2500 4x4

thanx for replying jocko, i have nice 4x4 caps i found at a great price (nos gmc) and you know how scarce they are (67-72) i found an nos front cap for gmc for 120.00 but the odds on finding a set, well>>>. so im going with 80's 16" rims. my '68 gmc has 4 different rims i think. 2 are def split rims. i think 2wheel drive c20 hubs are smaller also. theres a few yards here in ny and there is a gentleman i know that has at least a half dozen '68's layin in his bone yard. and he wont give them away. gotta get up there soon. gonna see what he has and post some info here cause i'm sure these will rot away if not already. this guy is like late 50's and this was his dads yard and i know he has alot of stuff from 30's on up>>>>thanx for your input on rims, paul
gmc 2500 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
T Herder

After the front BFG AT's literally exploded off my wifes F350 4x4 and being forced into buying all new rims and tires I found this place as a reference, http://www.rimsntires.com/. Some rims are hub centric, some lug centric. That web site will give you all the info you need.
Best regards,
T Herder
T Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
1972RedNeck

Some Ford rims have FoMoCo or Ford stamped on them. I have also found a set of ford rims with the small Chevy centers. If you're looking for steel rims, you might try your local transfer station. I have got many sets of rims, for free.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote