The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
ls1nova71

4l60e 4wd to 2wd conversion

Before anybody tells me to just get a 2wd transmission, hear me out. I have a 2004 5.3 with a 4wd 4l60e bolted to it, and I also have a 2001 S-10 4l60e 2wd transmission. Now my question, how difficult is it to swap out the output shaft and the tailhousing from the S-10 to the Z71 trans? Basically I have no money in either one, so I was wondering just how far down you have to go to swap shafts? I know the z71 trans works, and the S-10 I pulled out of a burn job back on 2002, so I would assume it's good also (no signs of fire damage), but wasn't sure if it was possible to swap input shafts, bellhousing and converter? Am I nuts? I'm a mechanic by trade, but not a transmission builder. Any thoughts?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 4l60e 4wd to 2wd conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Before anybody tells me to just get a 2wd transmission, hear me out. I have a 2004 5.3 with a 4wd 4l60e bolted to it, and I also have a 2001 S-10 4l60e 2wd transmission. Now my question, how difficult is it to swap out the output shaft and the tailhousing from the S-10 to the Z71 trans? Basically I have no money in either one, so I was wondering just how far down you have to go to swap shafts? I know the z71 trans works, and the S-10 I pulled out of a burn job back on 2002, so I would assume it's good also (no signs of fire damage), but wasn't sure if it was possible to swap input shafts, bellhousing and converter? Am I nuts? I'm a mechanic by trade, but not a transmission builder. Any thoughts?
Its easy, Your a Mechanic I highly recommend buying a ATSG manual....You need both books, The first one covers the original 93 4L60E, The second is a update manual.
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00035tm03.htm
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00035tm04.htm

You just need the output shaft, Tail housing, VSS sensor off the S-10 trans. DO NOT use the S-10 trans, Put the output shaft in the 04.
S-10's have strange valve body calibrations not suited to LS engines.

Remove bell housing, It takes a Torx Plus socket...T47 I think, I use a standard 3/8 drive T50 torx with a 1/2" impact & reducer.

Remove Turbine/Input shaft O-ring.

Remove trans pan.

Remove filter & TCC solenoid.

Compress 2-4 servo cover, Remove snap ring, Pull cover out with pliers untill you see the blue O-ring, Using a 90 degree awl pull the O-ring through the slot in the case about 2", remove the cover, & 2nd/4th servos.

Remove the front pump, A pump puller is ideal, But you can "rock" it out with a flat head, Be carefull!

Lean the Input Drum to the top of the case, Using a flat head, Lift the 2-4 band off the anchor & let it slide off.

Pull the Input drum & Reverse input drum out as an assembly.

Now you will be looking at the sunshell & Input planet, In the center is the output shaft with a snap ring holding it to the the input planet.

Remove the snap ring, Pull the output shaft out from the rear of the case.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: 4l60e 4wd to 2wd conversion

Wow. That's much less disassembly than I assumed. Makes it seem doable for even a regular mechanic I agree with the above- use the tailshaft and housing from the s10 trans and since you'll have them both apart, you can reassemble it as 4wd and sell it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote