The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
HotRodScottsdale

Anyone ever tried this?

My fuel selector valve went so I by passed it and only run one tank so my selector switch is basicly useless, I was wondering if it was possible to turn it into a kill switch for my motor, kinda like a out in the open but never notice type of switch to make it harder to steal my truck. Has anyone ever tried this idea with this switch before?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Anyone ever tried this?

It sounds plausable as long as the volt/amp max on the switch is higher than what is needed to run the engine.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
HotRodScottsdale

How can I find that out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
primrrd

if i am parking somewhere and dont want my trucka to drive away, i will open the hood and pull the plug with the wires on the distributor.
(our columns are so easy for thieves to "pop" i figure they can grind the battery dead and not move an inch this way...)
i suppose you could put a switch on one of the feed wires to the distributor.
primrrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
bowtiemanchevyman

what i did was take the two wires of the starter that have fuseable links and put a fuse box on the driver side fender. when i park in some towns i pull one of the fuse and the truck wont start. it willl turn the dash lights on put dont put power to the starter. it is real funny to watch some one try to start my truck when i pull that fuse out. its cheap and easy.
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
JPalmer81

Just put a switch after the fuse feeding your whole ignition system, maybe like a 25 amp switch or something, and that is probably over kill. I put a 50 amp switch between my battery fusable link and the fuse box, it works fine, I put it under the dash on my 77 dodge so if I want to I can just flip it off and there would be no power to the truck no matter what and it would take a long time for any thief to trace it down. But you would have to run a always on line to your clock and radio unless you wanted to reset it every time, but if you don't know much about wiring then it might be a PITA for ya. I made a custom loom for my dodge from the front headlights to the rear backup lights with custom fuse box and push button start and custom switch panel, not hard to do just time consuming.

My Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516872

"The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance"

Last edited by JPalmer81; 07-09-2012 at 04:39 AM.
JPalmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Bypassed selector on the bro n laws tbi truck. Now if switched no fuel pump. Accidental kill switch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
chengny

That particular fuel tank selector switch (if it's still stock) is a "momentary" type switch. In other words it doesn't cause the electrical contacts to "snap and stay".

When used as designed, the driver needed to push down and hold the switch in either the top (LH) or bottom (RH) position for a couple of seconds while the Pollak valve shifted.

Once the ports (and the tank level indication wiring) were switched over, they would stay that way unless the switch was toggled in the other direction and held for 2 seconds or so.

What you want to do is a good idea but might be a bit involved. The wiring will be tricky, but if you can ring it out correctly, it should be nearly theft proof.

Imagine you decide to run the lead to the solenoid (purple) through the unused side of the tank select switch.

In order to crank the starter, it will be necessary to hold down the tank switch button in the non-used position (you didn't mention which tank you have eliminated) with your right hand, reach around - or through - the steering coulmn with your left hand and then turn the key.

Brilliant!!

You could get a similar engine kill effect by running the power to the distributor (pink wire) through the same tank select switch. The starter would crank but the would-be thief would get no spark (unless the tank select switch was depressed correctly & simultaneously).

A couple of schematics that might help:

Last edited by chengny; 07-09-2012 at 03:53 AM.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
HotRodScottsdale

I by passed the passanger side tank by removing the valve and puttin a metal tube connecting the tank to the line going to the motor. My fuel gauge has always been crap-tac-ular so it still not working is no big loss *even tho it likes to work the odd time* so now I only run the drivers side tank and the switch just sits there, I was hoping to make it just switch up to run, down to kill it. If I have to do a code to get it to start with a switch I will have to run a new switch because my parents like to drive my truck the odd time and I don't think they would know how to work it.
Posted via Mobile Device