The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
bowtie72

TBI Swap

I finally got around to swapping the carb on my Blazer to TBI. Swap went pretty easy. It runs good other than a couple of codes. I don't have a o2 sensor yet because I need it running a little better to get it to town. So I have that code. The kit I installed came with a harness and has no wire for a knock sensor. So the timing will not advance without this. My question is can I advance the timing and just run that way or can I have this programed out of the chip? And who can do it? I have one more code. The vss. Again I have no wire for this. Can this be programmed out? Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: TBI Swap

What kit do you have? I would think you definitely want a knock signal. On TPI you want VSS as well to keep it from stalling when you come to a stop. Can't speak with authority on TBI but I would think you would want it. You would need it if you are doing cruise control.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
bowtie72

I am not running any kind of cruise control. I know the vss can be programed out but not sure what to do about the knock sensor. The kit is from Affordable EFI. There isn't anything in their harness to hook anything to. I have e-mailed them to see what to do. The knock sensor is just to retard the timing for spark knock. But not sure if I really need it.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie72 View Post
I finally got around to swapping the carb on my Blazer to TBI. Swap went pretty easy. It runs good other than a couple of codes. I don't have a o2 sensor yet because I need it running a little better to get it to town. So I have that code. The kit I installed came with a harness and has no wire for a knock sensor. So the timing will not advance without this. My question is can I advance the timing and just run that way or can I have this programed out of the chip? And who can do it? I have one more code. The vss. Again I have no wire for this. Can this be programmed out? Thanks
Affordable's site seemed to have a lot of information and a deailed order process. If you have functions not addressed by the harness that the PCM is expecting you may have a programing issue that they will need to correct. If it is expecting a VSS signal and a knock sensor signal then the system is going to go default without. Get with tech support on this as its included with your purchase or as an option.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote