The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
champscl

86 gmc tilt problems

I'm new to the site and have searched but never seen anything about the tilt being fixed just the wobble from the loose bolts. Mine won't stay locked any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney
Posted via Mobile Device
champscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
1774btcrew

Re: 86 gmc tilt problems

Do a search on Youtube for S10 loose tilt steering repair. I don't know if my link will work. I have watched this video a few times and it is very informative. There are actually 3 parts to this. Don't take it on unless you are VERY patient and pretty mechanically inclined! There are many parts to these columns and takes a lot of practice to get it right. The video will at least help you decide if you want to take it on.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
JMurray

I just spent last two evening working on my tilt column, I disassembled and reassembled about 30 times trying to get the ingition swtich setup right. You will need a steering wheel puller, spring compression tool to remove lock ring and the little tool that pulls the pivot pins from both sides of the tilt point of the lower part of the column. If you tils the column away from the spring and remove spring you can pull the pins and the assembly will just slide off. After numerous times, it takes me about five minutes to tear the column down to just the ball joint, big things are watch for the steel balls from the bearings, they will fall out and go everywhere, when you are putting back together grease is your friend. Lots of grease will get them to stay in place while you are moving the ignition housing around trying to lock the tilt and get pins aligned.

You might have something in your tilt locking mechanism, keeping it from fully engaging. If you take it apart clean it all out really well then regrease. There are some really good write ups on the teardown process I would grab a beer and start reading as many as you can and learn what issues they had and how to avoid them.

Good luck
JMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
1774btcrew

Like I said before, if you don't have A LOT of patience don't take this on yourself! I know if you look around there are several shops that should do it for you at around $100. At least that is what they charge here.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
champscl

Ok thanks for the responses guys. It's raining here so hopefully tomorrow I can get a look at it. Everything else is fine except for the tilt up and down, it sucks making a turn when the steering wheel won't stay still lol...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
mopar346

By the way, welcome to the forum. Tilt columns can be complicated but not too bad if you pay attention and as mentioned be patient.

Jmurray, I have disassembled a lot of these columns over the last 30 years and the only time I have had balls fall out of the bearing is when it is a bad bearing. Next time you go in you might replace it.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
champscl

Thanks mopar I'll check back in when I get a chance to dig into it. The rain hasn't stopped for a couple days plus 100 degree heat lol...
Posted via Mobile Device