The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Jayschevy

Anybody do their own exhaust system?

I recently bagged My 71 so now I have to do something with the exhaust that hangs well below the frame. My question is how hard is it to do your own exhaust? I have new headers that I can easily install myself but I'll need to install mufflers and piping as well. I can weld so that's not a problem for attaching the muffler but what will I need to bend the piping as well. Also where can I get the piping? To do this work at a shop I'm thinking it'll cost me around $500 to $600 or more. If it's worth it, I can do it myself and save a few houndres bucks.
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Anybody do their own exhaust system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayschevy View Post
I recently bagged My 71 so now I have to do something with the exhaust that hangs well below the frame. My question is how hard is it to do your own exhaust? I have new headers that I can easily install myself but I'll need to install mufflers and piping as well. I can weld so that's not a problem for attaching the muffler but what will I need to bend the piping as well. Also where can I get the piping? To do this work at a shop I'm thinking it'll cost me around $500 to $600 or more. If it's worth it, I can do it myself and save a few houndres bucks.
For my '67 stepside I used a Magnaflow 2.5 in hot rod kit with Sanderson long tube headers. Everything is tucked up in the frame. You can get the tubing from Jegs, Summit etc.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
biggestjohn

Got my pipe here:
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

I ordered the 304 stainless, Magnaflow and several others use 408 stainless, which will rust.

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Jayschevy

Thanks
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
shok

If you can weld that's most of the battle. I usually just get mandrel bends from summit after laying under the vehicle for awhile and visualizing. Odds and ends I get at flaps.
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
sir_talk_alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
For my '67 stepside I used a Magnaflow 2.5 in hot rod kit with Sanderson long tube headers. Everything is tucked up in the frame. You can get the tubing from Jegs, Summit etc.
got a big enough engine in that truck? that looks killer

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
ScottG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Interesting where you placed the mufflers. How much clearance to you have above the trailing arms. My mufflers are mounted vertically, with the driveshaft in between.