The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
68C20 CST

Have Some Suspension Ideas - Need Input

I have a 1968 C20 with a big block that has been converted to front disc brakes from a 1971 C20. I would like to do a mild drop/leveling and still keep it 3/4 ton capable. My plans are to do a 2.5/4 drop with 2.5" c20 drop spindles from performanceonline.com (along with the original C20 springs), and 1/2 ton rated rear 4" drop springs (trying to get a better ride with the drop). In addition to the lower rated rear 1/2 ton springs, installing an air bag overload system in the rear for when I need to use it for heavy loads or towing. I know a lot of people will say "you will wish you had went lower" but I dont think I will be able to and still use the truck for what I want to. Another reason for only 2.5/4 is I still need to have E rated 3/4 ton tires on the truck and dont want to run into issues with rubbing because I cant find any heavy duty tires under 30" tall.

Questions-
1. Has anyone done anything similar to this?
2. Will I still have enough axle to frame clearance in the back with the 4" drop along with inflated overload bags to still use this truck to tow what it would orignially?
3. I need some help on what air bag system to use in the back.
4. Any pictures of a 2.5/4 drop so I can get an idea of how it will look?

Sorry for the long post, and any input, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This is how the truck sits now.
Attached Images

68C20 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Have Some Suspension Ideas - Need Input

1. no
2. you may need to trim bumpstops for when empty with air bags deflated
3.no clue
4.not on a 3/4

Someone who has done this will probably chime in with better info.I'm going by the 2 1/2-4 drop on my C10,but they should be pretty close if you're going to 1/2 ton springs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote