The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #51
meter swinger

Re: How much of a loss are you willing to take?

^^ didn't answer your question. No i would not take an 8k loss...no way no how.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #52
Cue-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Generally speaking, I find that any modifications done to a vehicle will not be returned on resale. Unless, of course, you find someone who shares your taste in your modifications exactly and is willing to pay full price for them. These buyers are hard to find. In many cases, a highly modified vehicle will be more difficult to sell than a stock one.
I'll go one step further. Modifications done to a vehicle not only won't raise the value, they will lower it. The problem with mods is that you can never tell how well they were done. Unless the vehicle was built by a very reputable and well known shop, it's a gamble whether or not it was thrown together by someone who didn't know what they were doing (Not saying that's the case with the OP's truck). Even if the person DID know what they were doing, you've now got a "frankenstein" vehicle that's using all sorts of different parts from different manufacturers. Those kinds of vehicles are always more difficult to maintain since you can't just run down to Autozone and pick up a new brake caliper or control arm.

I bought my truck in pretty decent shape to begin with, only paid $3K, and haven't done anything radical to it and still I'll never get out of it what I've got into it. And every little thing that I fix or change puts me further down that hole. That's just how it goes.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #53
JCampbell
Account Suspended

I used to roll my eyes when guys would post these (what I thought were) exorbitant build costs until I actually decide to build one from the ground up. I've got an easy $10k in my dually and it's still in pieces. I'd be lucky to get $1000 for everything as it sits.

As for taking a hit, I guess it would depend on the situation. If one of my kids needed a life-saving surgery, I'd give the truck away if that's what it took; but to take a huge hit just because I got bored with it...I dunno. I guess it depends on how bad you want to move on. Everyone's scenario is different.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #54
88Jimmy4x4

stock not modified...bid up to $17,000 and still going

ebay link
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #55
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
I'll go one step further. Modifications done to a vehicle not only won't raise the value, they will lower it. The problem with mods is that you can never tell how well they were done. Unless the vehicle was built by a very reputable and well known shop, it's a gamble whether or not it was thrown together by someone who didn't know what they were doing (Not saying that's the case with the OP's truck). Even if the person DID know what they were doing, you've now got a "frankenstein" vehicle that's using all sorts of different parts from different manufacturers. Those kinds of vehicles are always more difficult to maintain since you can't just run down to Autozone and pick up a new brake caliper or control arm.

I bought my truck in pretty decent shape to begin with, only paid $3K, and haven't done anything radical to it and still I'll never get out of it what I've got into it. And every little thing that I fix or change puts me further down that hole. That's just how it goes.
In my case, I have a full build sheet, parts list, quote and fabrication log from the builder (who is very well known in arizona.)

I also think that calling something a frankenstein truck because it has aftermarket suspension products is wrong. What is done to my truck is very popular and very easily researchable. and is common in most large cities.

its very easy to maintain. and saying that the price will decrease is ridiculous. so, doing hokie pokie performance mods to truck with parts from autozone may not increase the value, but a frame off restoration with major upgrades and suspension mods is definitely desirable. granted a small market. but people like del, dino, and renee are constantly making a good profit from highly modified vehicles.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #56
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post

ebay link
thats awesome for that seller. that is a very pristine truck and is also a 4x4. that is optioned out. I hope he is jumping with joy.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #57
mopar346

There is a reason we don't all build vehicles for a living and it has nothing to do with ability.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #58
mopar346

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post

ebay link
Nice truck but I cant see it being worth anywhere near that kinda money. Might be some shill bidding going on there.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #59
cory d

take 10k off adn i would still be suprized
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #60
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
so, doing hokie pokie performance mods to truck with parts from autozone may not increase the value, but a frame off restoration with major upgrades and suspension mods is definitely desirable. granted a small market. but people like del, dino, and renee are constantly making a good profit from highly modified vehicles.
I agree here. There is a big difference between a well done, well thought out vehicle with quality parts vs a car that looks like it's been a victim of a Walmart sale

Anyone that knows anything about cars can take one look at something and know right away which of the two they are looking at

You are in it deep considering what you can buy an 84 pickup for. That's working against you. The mods with the whole "lowered" thing and the up and down stuff is more of a younger generation thing, so it limits your clientel.
Although it's definately not my cup of tea, us old farts can still appreciate the amount of work involved. There is definately nothing cheap about it. If you want to sell it, get it out to the big meets and get that thing seen.

I hope you manage to keep the truck and make it what you want it to be. With some nice paint (maybe a 2-tone or some other scheme), maybe smooth the door handles and things for a slick appearance, and it will be a nice piece either way
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #61
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
I used to roll my eyes when guys would post these (what I thought were) exorbitant build costs until I actually decide to build one from the ground up.
Yup. And that's exactly what you tell the tire kickers. "go out and build one for yourself and then come back and tell me my my price is high"

Most anything out there worth having can't be built from scratch for the asking prices of a done piece. Look at some of these high dollar cars at auction, most of those guys are lucky to break even. Most take a hit once you pay the fees.

Granted we all have to take into consideration what kind of vehicle we are talking about. Some are more desirable than others.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #62
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
Might be some shill bidding going on there.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #63
Firebirdjones

The magic 8 ball has spoken
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #64
cory d

i have about 2,500 in total into my truck, i would take 2,000. i dont ever plan on selling it though.
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #65
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
The magic 8 ball has spoken
thanks.....getting to serious in here

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=ebay
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #66
JPalmer81

I think you need to go into a build with the understanding that this is a hobby, and hobbies cost money, and you are probably never going to get your money back by selling one of your hobby crafts. The builders who make a living selling their projects, it took them years and years to build clientele and a good reputation, something that a guy building a truck out in his front yard is not going to have.

I love tinkering on old trucks and overall I spend way less money over the years driving what I am tinkering on over going out and buying a new $40,000 + pick-up. An 8k loss when talking about automobiles is not that much, people do it everyday when they buy a brand new car and drive it off the lot!

If I were you I would put it into some of the more upscale classic car magazines because I think you are going to have to market your product to a very very small group of people.

My Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516872

"The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance"
JPalmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #67
Rich84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalmer81 View Post
I love tinkering on old trucks and overall I spend way less money over the years driving what I am tinkering on over going out and buying a new $40,000 + pick-up. An 8k loss when talking about automobiles is not that much, people do it everyday when they buy a brand new car and drive it off the lot!
I never really thought of it that way...But it is the absolute truth. I feel better about theat huge pile of reciepts now..Thank You
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #68
Firebirdjones

That's where I differ from the regular crowd, I've never bought a brand spanking new car. Prefer to restore old stuff and just drive it. We have had newer stuff however for my wife, but I buy it a couple years after the fact, let the other person take the depreciation hit
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #69
broey
Square

well guys, the truck is gone. I ended up trading with a friend for the car I wanted.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #70
3r!c84
Badass

pics of the trade?!!?!!

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #71
Dinos63
chevy only

once again you owe me ....
Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #72
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
well guys, the truck is gone. I ended up trading with a friend for the car I wanted.
Congrats, as long as you got what you wanted and you're happy that's all that matters.