The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
gruveb

Newbie Introduction 69 - Pipedream

I certainly didn't expect to ever own one of these trucks again, and certainly not at this point in my life.

My very first vehicle was a 72 C10, long bed, 307. I loved that truck. While driving through an intersection I was t-boned, a dude in an S10 Blazer slammed directly into my passenger's side door, bent my frame...but you should've seen the other guy!

Now I'm getting ready to go back to grad school to get my master's degree and found myself vehicle shopping this summer. I need a truck, and came across this one being sold by a custom hot rod shop that was short on cash after the first of the month. It has been used as the shop truck for the past two years and previously belonged to a customer of the shop for the previous 15 or so. Supposedly the shop rebuilt the motor and transmission in the past. Whatever, it was all a story. The truck was all there, looked good, ran good, so I got it for $1700 along with an undented cowl.

Enough of my story. Here's the truck shortly after purchase:

The truck is a 1969 C10 Custom, long bed. The right fender has been replaced, the left needs replacing. There's some body work to do to the passenger's door and the cowl was creased too, as is the front bumper.

As it sits, there's a 3" body lift (which I dislike on a 2wheel drive), and a little rust that will need repair on the floor, but not too bad right now. It's the only rust I've found on the truck!

The engine is a 350, tranny a 350. 12 bolt rear, though not sure of anything beyond that. It starts with a bump of the key when cold, and shifts great, really smooth.

The brakes were updated, it has discs up front. It stops straight and fast. Down the highway there are no shimmies or shakes, it runs smooth and straight. Even the alignment is dead-on. But the body rattled and rubbed quite a bit front whatever front end collision this thing suffered.

Unfortunately, this fender was creased around the grill...I'm afraid the grill will need to be replaced.

I'll be using the truck as a daily driver, I live just over 5 miles from work. So I needed to go over everything on the truck and make sure what-was-what. First order of business was to change the oil, check the ignition system, flush the radiator and install some gauges. The dash has already been hacked, so I didn't feel bad at all throwing in some gauges.

From this I found out that I needed to run a heavier oil, 15-40. Now the oil pressure is about 15 to 20 when warm at idle and around 50 under normal driving conditions. I also fixed the oil leak at the valve covers, didn't even have to change the gasket, though I bought one.

As mentioned, I flushed the radiator only to discover a leak that had been plugged with Stop-Leak. I pulled it out and found this jewel:

They're actually now my favorite pliers! Score.

Here's the radiator damage, it was hidden from view behind the cooling fans, which were pulled from a Dodge Intrepid. They're wired on an adjustable electronic thermostat that works great. I've used a similar set up on a V8 Jeep.

Now it runs constantly at 180, no problems.

The original tank has been removed and it has two under-bed tanks. The passenger's side is pretty heavily corroded. I tried cleaning it out, but had just marginal results. I'm going to try again and use this kit this time. Regardless, the tank hadn't been used, wasn't even plumbed to the motor. I replaced the float in it, and have a fuel gauge on order.

Also since getting the truck I've fixed or replaced:

Dimmer switch
Dome light cover
Blower motor
Cigarette Lighter
Glove Box
Left front turn signal
Cowl
Wiper blades
High beam indicator

Nearly all of the AC equipment is missing, but worse, so is all of the vent plumbing, along with one of the control cables. That'll be worked on soon.

I'll be swapping out the tranny pan gasket, greasing everything and changing the differential oil this coming week (I'm on vacation). Then the truck will be in top running order.

The truck was originally white, with red interior. Someone has gone and done some two-tone with a rattle can...which also makes it easier for me to start sanding. Since the right fender was unprotected and I had to replace the cowl, and the hood had already been painted, I hit them all with some primer. Then, I loaded up and went to the dump.

Here are a bunch more pics, though they're not much to see.

I'm calling the truck my pipe dream. For now, I'll mostly just use it as a work vehicle, doing things here and there. All the work done will be to the end of a properly functioning vehicle.

The first order of business that has nothing to do with function is to remove the body lift. (Apparently the previous owner, not the shop, had 22's on it.) Unfortunately, the exhaust is routed over the frame (in the 3" gap) by the bed. So some exhaust work will need to be done and after looking closely, I'm not sure just cutting and throwing a turnout in front of the wheel will do the trick.

In the end I want a drivable vehicle. I'm envisioning a big block, 700r tranny, AC, dropped 4.5 inches up front and 6 in the rear, some torque thrust rims, probably 17's or 18's, and probably a gun metal grey color. But that's the pipe-dream, ain't it!
gruveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Newbie Introduction 69 - Pipedream

Hey gruveb ...

to the forums and from Ohio. on purchasing a ride.

Great story and thanks for sharing.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
ole dollor

gruveb : welcome to the board from Texas...like your new project...in pic # 6 of your steering column there is a switch below the steering column....kinda looks like a electric window switch? has two red dots on it....what does that do?...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
med.bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
gruveb : welcome to the board from Texas...like your new project...in pic # 6 of your steering column there is a switch below the steering column....kinda looks like a electric window switch? has two red dots on it....what does that do?...
was wondering the same thing?

1971 K-10 Custom Deluxe

1971 K-10 Custom
med.bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Welcome!! Great Story and you have the truck now so your just one step closer to that dream

Quote:
Ejection seat?

The clock in the fuel gauge caught me off guard for a moment.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Also welcome from Central Florida! All that truck needs is a little love.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
gruveb

Quote:
Right now it does nothing. I suspect a previous owner had an over cab camper on the truck...maybe it had something to do with that.

So I'm open to suggestions as to what the switch should do!
gruveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
desertnick69

Welcome, from Phoenix. Love those 69's. Just lost mine about a yr ago. so i am buiding a replacement. Nice lookin ride. good luck. This sight has helped me a lot, so call on them any time.
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
67chevy1series

how is this truck so lifted?? is it or am i just imagining things....
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post

The clock in the fuel gauge caught me off guard for a moment.

its a timed fuel shut off?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
its a timed fuel shut off?

He says it has a 3" body lift

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php