The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
GOPAPA

I am installing a new fuel line on my 72 Chevy Truck

In the picture I have shown below is a knob on the end of the fuel line,,,
( this is on the end of the old fuel line I took out of my 72 Chevy Truck which I assume came this way from the production line when building this truck) ,,,,

I have yet to find a way to make this knob on my new fuel line that I am bending and installing from my fuel pump to the rear tank.

This knob is a more secure way to make sure the hose to the fuel pump /fuel tank stays where you want it to stay in place .

Is this knob indigenous to General Motors or is it a common tubular procedure fabricated on many fuel lines for hose to tube hook ups elsewhere?

I talked to a guy some years back and he told me that he used the flange tools and created his own knob ,,if any one knows of the correct way I would like to know ,,or if you have made your own I would like to know ,,or if there is a place you know of that I can take my fuel line into and have it done I would like to know more about this also .

thanks for reading and any help on this would be appreciated .. papa Larry

GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Indyuke

Re: I am installing a new fuel line on my 72 Chevy Truck

Go to Autozone and rent Double Flaring tool. It will produce a double flare that looks much like what you have in the picture.

Youtube has a bunch of videos on how to use a double flare tool.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Bruce88

Not a lot of help just information

It’s called tube beading, it can be made with an internal die or a press forming

The tools that I’ve seen are expensive for a one time project around the range of $150 to $200 and up for a hand beading tool and then it’s only good for one size tube. If you do an internet search you can look for your self at some of the tools available.

I have a EZ Tubing Beader for 3/8 inch tube (part # 008ERL) by Earl’s Performance that’s for aluminum tube that cost about $30 and can be found at Summit Racing and it works ok but it’s only for aluminum tubes.

If you’re concerned about the hose slipping off the tube push it on the tube further and use two clamps should prevent it from happening.

Hope this information is helpful
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
8mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
Go to Autozone and rent Double Flaring tool. It will produce a double flare that looks much like what you have in the picture.

Youtube has a bunch of videos on how to use a double flare tool.
Thats is not a double flare. You could try the first step of the double flare for a nice smooth expanded part. A double flare will be a little side and could gouge the rubber.

Like said above, just push the hose on a little further and if you are really worried, just double hose clamp it
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
mclairmo

I've double hose clamped fuel lines before with no leaks at all. However, I like the idea of doing the first step of a double flare since you can get a double flare tool for cheap at any parts store.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
8mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I've double hose clamped fuel lines before with no leaks at all. However, I like the idea of doing the first step of a double flare since you can get a double flare tool for cheap at any parts store.
Double flare doesnt really work. The line is going to flare out too much and the hose wont easily slip over. I tried it before.

Id try the first part of a double flare with the button and just dont stick the tube out the whole length.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
GOPAPA

Thanks for all the ideas and sugestions guys ,,I needed to make a 180 degree bend so I went and bought a Ridgid Tube bender to do so .. I think I will skip the button end knob and just take the advice and use double clamps ,doubt if I ever need to do it again once I get this one done..getting old and cannot see has a lot to do with it. LOL

If I were a shop or a person who is going to be doing a lot of old cars or trucks ,this is what I would want to use to get a perfect flare ..

GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
8mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Thanks for all the ideas and sugestions guys ,,I needed to make a 180 degree bend so I went and bought a Ridgid Tube bender to do so .. I think I will skip the button end knob and just take the advice and use double clamps ,doubt if I ever need to do it again once I get this one done..getting old and cannot see has a lot to do with it. LOL

If I were a shop or a person who is going to be doing a lot of old cars or trucks ,this is what I would want to use to get a perfect flare ..

YouTube- Tube Tech: Perfect Flares Easily - V8TV
Those are nice...Eastwood has one as well as another company. The other company is supposed to rent them for $25/week or so...Im looking into that.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
twouvakind

You may be getting up in the years but you can still embed a mean video, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post

YouTube- Tube Tech: Perfect Flares Easily - V8TV
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote