The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Stew_Magoo
Account Suspended

one ton lift options

I've got a broken rear spring on my 1990 v3500. I'm looking for info on lift options. I've never lifted a truck, I can handle the mechanicals, its the shopping list I need advice on.

Im looking to go 4-6 inches with four new springs. I don't want to lose load carrying ability. No idea what size or if I'll put tires on it, I'm currently running very narrow 34ish inch tires. Not sure what all I'm gonna need and would like some direction.

Thanks,

Stew
Posted via Mobile Device
Stew_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Rubble

Re: one ton lift options

I have 3 lifted trucks,4" and 2 with 4" susp. 3" body. One of them has re arched rears with no blocks,rides nice but not much for load carrying ability.The one with blocks has good load capacity.Last one has a shackle flip,it seems pretty good too. 4" should fit 33" tires no problem(I have 33s on 10" rims without clearance issues.The other 2 have 35 s on,one has fenders trimmed and it is good,the other will hit tire in rougher conditions.these both are on 10" rims too. Ya as far as lifts go,any kind of mechanical ability and basic shop tools your laughing....not a big deal. Good luck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

I recently lifted my 78 K30. After 30+ years of hauling a couple thousand pounds of water and gear in the bed the springs were tired and one main leaf was broken in half on the rear. It already had 3" blocks in the rear, I guess the department added them to keep the rear from sagging with all the weight back there.

I reused the stock rear springs, just added two new 56" main leaf springs. On the front I picked up a pair of Tuff Country Ez-Ride 4" lift springs (1/2-3/4 ton application). I paired that with ORD greasable shackles up front, all new poly bushings, sway bar bushings, relocated swaybar, and new shocks.

I must say the Tuff Country Ez-Ride springs are the best riding lift springs I have used in any of my trucks, even though they were for 1/2-3/4 ton application, I did not see much sag at all. The other weekend I loaded up the truck with an ATV, coolers, toolbox, and gas cans in the bed and a ~6,000lb boat behind the truck, and it didn't seem to sag much at all with that load. If I had been buying the springs new I probably would have opted for the Ez-Ride-HD, but I couldn't beat $100 for the pair of springs.

Truck rides great, even better than it did before the lift, although that could be partly due to the broken leaf it had in the rear before I lifted it (didn't notice it was broken until I was putting new shocks on the rear).

I put it on 315/75R16 tires (~35") with 2.5" spacers between the duals, and 1.5" spacers in the front for a little wider stance. I have no trimming, and have not been able to get them to rub yet. As it sits, the front has almost 2" more fender gap to the tire, but the body line is almost perfectly level to the ground, which is how I wanted it. (The fender opening on the rear is lower on the body than the front, gives a little illusion to the rake)

Stock height and 285/75R16s (with 3" block in rear and broken leaf spring I guess)

Same stockness, on 315/75R16s. Only rubbed when turning on uneven ground.

After the lift on 315s

Loaded

Look up Offroad Design, and look at their kits and recommendations on what you need. Not many know their way around these truck's suspension better than them, they don't sell just "prepackaged one size fits all" kits. They piece together a little of their parts, and a little of other brands to fit just what you need.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Stew_Magoo
Account Suspended

Did some looking and a rough country 6" lift seems to be my best bet. Only thing i dont like is its a 4 inch rear spring with a two inch block, but i can lice with that. Talked to a guy who just put one on his v3500 and said its very complete and straightforward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stew_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
russgt

GcncsuHD, that is a beautiful truck that you have, and +1 for off road design, I have dealt with them quite a few times and have been very happy with them.
20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote