The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
flashed

New Wiring Harness For 72 ?

I thought I had decided to go with an aftermarket wiring harness from painless but I think I would rather buy a stock replacement with A/C and gauges .Who makes them and who has the best deal on them ? I tried a search but came up empty ,Im sure I have read about them here somewhere but I just cant find it .Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks John
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
TrucknAndy

Re: New Wiring Harness For 72 ?

I installed an American Autowire Classic Update Kit(has options built in for future upgrades), but they do have a factory kit as well. I installed mine a month or so ago, and given the fact that I had 0 experience rewiring vehicles it went really smooth. All be it there are portions of the install that can be tedious and less than fun, what a sense of accomplishment when its all done, and it starts, and everything works. American Autowire is one of the more if not the most expensive kits on the market. I am a believer in the get what you pay for philosophy as well as the raves I heard about their kits, and how thorough the instructions were. My only complaint would be is the kit I bought, and this may or may not apply to the factory kit required special crimping tools for the type of terminations used. You can rent w/ a deposit which you get back except $50 which they put in their pockets. The 2 tools cost around 200 bucks. I intended to rent just to cut down costs for my build, but after I was done I wondered what if something broke, and I need the crimps again. Thus I now own a 200 dollar set of crimps. All things considered I am very pleased. I did the work myself(would have been a fortune to have someone else do it), completely satisfied with the product, and still have options to upgrade certain items in the future.

That being said I have no experience with other kits, but have heard good things about Rebel Wire, and other lower cost kits. Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Andy
Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
MARKDTN

'Lectric Limited makes some of the best harness out there in my opinion. They will do stock and stock upgraded to HEI and/or different alternators.

http://www.lectriclimited.com

You can buy direct or they sell through distributors. Not the cheapest out there, but if you have ever seen an electrical fire, wiring (and seat belts and brakes) is not the place to save a buck.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucknAndy View Post
I installed an American Autowire Classic Update Kit(has options built in for future upgrades), but they do have a factory kit as well. I installed mine a month or so ago, and given the fact that I had 0 experience rewiring vehicles it went really smooth. All be it there are portions of the install that can be tedious and less than fun, what a sense of accomplishment when its all done, and it starts, and everything works. American Autowire is one of the more if not the most expensive kits on the market. I am a believer in the get what you pay for philosophy as well as the raves I heard about their kits, and how thorough the instructions were. My only complaint would be is the kit I bought, and this may or may not apply to the factory kit required special crimping tools for the type of terminations used. You can rent w/ a deposit which you get back except $50 which they put in their pockets. The 2 tools cost around 200 bucks. I intended to rent just to cut down costs for my build, but after I was done I wondered what if something broke, and I need the crimps again. Thus I now own a 200 dollar set of crimps. All things considered I am very pleased. I did the work myself(would have been a fortune to have someone else do it), completely satisfied with the product, and still have options to upgrade certain items in the future.

That being said I have no experience with other kits, but have heard good things about Rebel Wire, and other lower cost kits. Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Andy
X2

I have the box at home and my crimpers just showed up friday. It's one of the few kits on the market that also comes with all new headlight/marker light plugs.
They were recommended to me from my friend who owns an automotive electrical shop, even with my discount It would have cost me 2k to have him rewire the truck. thats every wire custom cut to length, soldered, etc. I just couldn't spend that much.
He did tell me if I came in with a painful kit installed he would rip it out and beat me with it.
I also ordered all new firewall gromets while I was at it. I figured now was the best time to replace them.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
leddzepp

American Autowire. Done.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
flashed

Guys ,thanks for all the replys .I have been looking at American Autowire and the price is not that bad considering the peace of mind that comes with it .And new gromets are a must and I had not thought of them.
Thanks again John
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

We sell both American Autowire and M&H wiring. We generaly go with the M&H but if they are out of stock on any particular harness we use american autowire because they do not back-order for the length of time M&H will. They essentualy are the same harnesses. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
harley rider

you might check out E-Z wire they make a good harness for a resonable price .american made ,good customer service. I have installed a few of them .have one in my 39 chevy ,no problems.
harley rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
kamikazekyle05

Im installing the american autowire classic update kit, and so far so good. I didnt buy the special crimping tool, i have my own "way" of doing that lol
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
We sell both American Autowire and M&H wiring. We generaly go with the M&H but if they are out of stock on any particular harness we use american autowire because they do not back-order for the length of time M&H will. They essentualy are the same harnesses. WES
Wes Will take care of you and walk you through any problems on the phone

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote