The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Docs fitty6

Fenderwell headers in a '56 GMC

Howdy all. I'm new here. Not new to the hobby by far, but do have a question for you re: my BBC sitting on a '78 Camaro front clip.
Is there anyone with knowledge of an aftermarket header for my application? A particular DIY kit?
A local header shop out here in the NW quoted me $2500 (more than I paid for the truck!)
Thanks for any help.
Docs fitty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
low67chevy

Re: Fenderwell headers in a '56 GMC

id like to know that too as im going to wanna run fender well headers on my bbc on my rig or ill just phone up sanderson headers and get him to make me a set 800$ usually
low67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Docs fitty6

Wow...Sanderson does great work and I've bought their stuff before (SS shorties for a 351 Windsor in a Model A) but had no idea they would do custom one offs???
How do you go about getting that taken care of? Is their business nearby so you can take your rig in for the fabrication process??
$800 is far better than the $2500 I was quoted from Stans Headers in Auburn Washington!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Speedbumpauto

A lot of header fit has to do with how the engine is located in the clip. I set the engine back about 4" and am using Moroso solid motor mounts which might be a little higher than stock, I'm not sure. Anyway, with those caveats, I used 2" Hookers made for a 72 chevy/GMC pick up 2 wheel drive. They fit perfectly with only a tiny mod to the rear lower control arm frame bracket on the pass. side where the tubes have to clear the starter. The truck was advertised as a 400 cid, but some of them were actually 402 big blocks. That's what the headers need to fit. I can't guarantee they will work for you because of possible differences in the way we mounted our engines during fabrication but it's an inexpensive starting place. My headers were the "super comps" which are equal length but I consider that more of a hassle than a horsepower maker, but I got them for $200, new, so I used them. The cheaper, unequal length headers for the same app might actually work better. I searched for some good pics of how mine fit, but these two are as good as I have showing what the headers look like on the run stand and how the pass side fits inside the frame. Way cleaner than the fenderwell style IMO. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Docs fitty6

Very Very nice! You're going farther hi tech and $$ than I am on this build, and doin it right from the looks of it too.
I agree that inside the rails headers are more practical and will last longer than outside the rails type, but I still want to run fenderwells.
By the way...re: the elec. cutouts...what specs? I like
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
_Ogre

summit has all sorts of diy kits for headers
i think that is the way to go

i have gone so far as to make my own flanges when nothing is available
but bbc should be easy to find a kit for

this is a turbo mount for a 4 cyl 2011 ford fusion
no flange available, i made my own

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

The cutouts are by Raceready and they're 3 1/2 inch. I'm trying to match the collector size all the way to the running board exit for the open side since the engine is 505 CID. The quiet side will exit at the rear bumper for cruising. Can't say much about quality since I haven't used them yet, but when I read the reviews/complaints on line, they had the fewest of anyone and guaranteed them not to leak. A little pricey, but I've never had electronic cutouts before and I'm getting too old to keep putting it off. Hopefully I'll get some operational reviews in a month or so....if I ever find my ambition again. I have a friend with a 57 BBC and fenderwells and might see him tonight at the cruize in. I know he used a kit with a little modification and they look good. He used a Camaro clip also. I'll try to get some info.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Maximus

I think the cutouts are different than what the OP is asking - he is looking for headers that travel over the top of the frame and into the fenderwell
like these on this random '55 from the Hamb

might be able to make the 55-57 car headers work???
the SBC headers are at speedway here http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dougs-...ain,25015.html

they should have some BBC FW Headers for a tri-five car somewhere - but again I dont even know if these will work well ...

dunno -
good luck!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Maximus

Correction - speedway also carries these probably designed for the tri-five cars but I think you could make these work - but thats up for u to determine...

and these
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/b-b-ch...ome,58718.html

and these
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/b-b-ch...ted,37183.html
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Docs fitty6

This forum has certainly been helpful, and I thank you.
I've attached 2 pics of the view of the fenderwell space available for these.
I certainly have some ammo now...
Decisions decisions....I'll take the dimensions off of the header spec sheets from Speedway and compare to my available space. If there appears to be too much interference (lots of cutting on a built set) then I will look into a kit form.
Thanks again guys!
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Speedbumpauto

Here are some pics of a friends truck from last nights cruise in. He started with the big block headers for a car. He had to remove and reweld the flanges to get a slightly higher angle to clear the suspension but none of the individual tubes had to be modified. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Docs fitty6

That's EXACTLY what I want to end up with! THANKS!
And when you say "car", I need to know for sure if what you're saying is the '55-'57 Chev...
Sorry to keep dragging this thread on
later
Old 08-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Speedbumpauto

Yes, 55 Chevy car with a big block conversion.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Docs fitty6

I've looked closely at the speedway spec charts and will have to talk with a tech @ Speedway.
Their specs don't match up with the product description and are vague enough that I know better to talk to someone first prior to ordering.
I'm gonna go with the raw ones, wrap em and call it good.
This motor isn't in for the long run anyway. My oldest Son and I are in the planning stages for a twin turbo BBC build for next year. It's all him. I don't know squat about turbos.
later
Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Docs fitty6

I'm BAAAAck...ok, I got nowhere with Speedway tech. He came up with some lame answers to my questions. He couldn't explain why there are two different specs listed for the same header??? And Patriot says the pictures don't always represent the item being sold (generic?)
So my question for Speedbumpauto is if you would ask your Buddy for the exact info on his header install?
Thanks
later