The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
85/Silverado

A/C Compressor Replacement

I'm having trouble finding the proper A/C Compressor for my 85 Silverado.
I had a estimate to replace mine at a small shop and they said $790.00.
I about fell on the floor, that was $200.00 off since they fixed the leak in the lines that I had and won't charge me to recharge the system again.:
. It took 4 different places to fix that so it cost me to refill the Freon 4 times at $70.00 a shot.
I tried a couple places on Ebay to find the compressor but they were a little stumped. Here is the last answer I got.

"Thanks for the inquiry! Yes, there will be a difference. If you look under product notes in the compatibility table there are differences in the diameter of the pulley, number of grooves, and the position of the connector. Unfortunately I can't tell from the VIN so you would have to look on your unit and compare it to the notes on the following units:

Unfortunately I don't stock all of them but if you type those numbers into eBay you can at least read the descriptions."
I tried typing those numbers into google and got nothing to do with my compressor.

Here is a picture of my compressor if this will help. My clutch dosen't kick in so I need to just replace the whole thing since I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks Guys
Jack
Attached Images

85/Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: A/C Compressor Replacement

$790 doesn't sound out of place if that was a new compressor included.

I beleive that style compressor you have pictured is still available new (not rebuilt). There is a Sanden model as well that fits that style.

If it makes you feel better, my neighbor took his 69 Ranchero in to a local AC shop with a great rep (I've used them too) and that big ole ford compressor was bad. Sanden made a replacement for it (which surprised me) and they converted it to 134 while they were in there. $1300 bill

I do most of my own AC work on our cars. I just replaced the compressor on my wifes 2000 SS camaro with a new GM unit, new accum/dryer and orifice tube and the parts alone set me back over $500 alone, I installed everything, then pulled a vacuum for 30 minutes and charged it myself. My time is worth something.

Starts to put that $790 more in perspective

Check Rock Auto for factory replacement new GM compressors and get a price, and then check out Sandens website for a replacement. If you convert to 134 and you have a vacuum pump, you can suck it down and charge it yourself and save some coin.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
BigMike608

Napa Auto Parts:
compressor - $274
accumulator - $22
orfice tube - $2.50
freon - roughly $6/$7 each
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

Make certain that Napa compressor is a brandy new unit and not a reman.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
BigMike608

that's brand new prices, just bought one myself
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
85/Silverado

After sending emails & Photo's back and forth with a ebay company I finaly got one New for $205.40 with free shipping. I also been told that you can't reuse the freon in Florida. So I will have to pay another $70.00 for that too, I'm going to install the Compressor myself.
Thanks Guys
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
DetroitIron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85/Silverado View Post
After sending emails & Photo's back and forth with a ebay company I finaly got one New for $205.40 with free shipping. I also been told that you can't reuse the freon in Florida. So I will have to pay another $70.00 for that too, I'm going to install the Compressor myself.
Thanks Guys
I just did all this on my 85. Bought a new compressor from AdvanceAuto for $169. Working great.
Posted via Mobile Device

1985 Chevy Scottsdale K20 350 with 700R4 running 3.42 gearing aka "The Honey Badger"
1993 Silverado C3500 Ext. Cab Dually 6.5 turbo diesel
DetroitIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The older compressors can work well. It's all about keeping enough air moving through the condensor!! If you don't have enough air moving, pressure increases fast causing leaks, seal. or compressor failure. Trust me, I've rebuilt mine four times!! I'm on my fifth compressor. I finally know enough to make this last fix last a long time with electric fans. I've also had bad luck using old compressors. I finally found one that looks promising to last a long time. Blowing 60 degree air on 100+ degree days!! YEA!!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

This happens when an orfice tube clogs up and pressure builds up.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
The older compressors can work well. It's all about keeping enough air moving through the condensor!! If you don't have enough air moving, pressure increases fast causing leaks, seal. or compressor failure.
Yep, that's why I've mentioned in other AC threads that you really have to watch your high side pressures when charging, and stop adding freon when they reach a high level.

Alot of things can cause high pressure, but one of the more frequent causes are converting to 134 while still using a stock R12 condensor that doesn't cool the 134 well enough. As that condensor heats up and that 134 gets warmer, the high side pressures increase. Typcally in this case you can't get as much 134 in the system as needed in an effort to keep things from popping so you get "okay" AC performance because of this.

You are right, electric fans do help to keep the condensor cooler when in slow traffic or sitting still. Any way you can find to keep that condensor cool is a step towards a better working AC system.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
85/Silverado

Thanks everyone for your help, I finally got the air working like a fridge. I had to replace the A/C radiator since it was the last thing that was leaking. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the evaporator on this crazy trip. I did find out that the system had ben converted, but whoever did it left so many leaks that I should have bought it as a piece of cheese.
Now I just have to fix the small oil leaks on the motor and that should be it for the drivetrain and I can start on the repaint.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
grs

I had my AC compressor, Orifice tube, and dryer replaced. The compressor was a new Delphi. It cost $1,108.00
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
85/Silverado

My total was about $600.00 not counting the other idiots that tried to fix the leak.