The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
jaxwithanx

1987 TBI - 383 Swap - Runaway Idle Help

Have a ridiculous issue. My grandfather threw a rod in his 1987 TBI 305. He said one day he was going down the road and the RPM's kept creeping up until he had to stay mashed on the brake to keep the truck from taking off. Finally threw a rod before he could get it calmed down. I had a 383 built utilizing a 454 TB. New chip, exhaust, transmission....everything.

Well I have the new engine installed and it runs great but shortly after it starts the RPM's start to creep up and my mechanic and I cannot track it down for anything. We threw another computer in, nothing. IAC is staying wide open, it seems some sensor has the ECM telling it to keep feeding.

No throttle body gasket leak....about all else we can think of is pulling the distributor (I had already replaced the cap and rotor) and trying a different one.

The truck is running like a bat of out hell but we can't get the idle to stay down at all!!

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: The reason I mentioned the portion at the beginning is it sounds similar to what is happening now. Unfortunately I wasn't around when the engine threw the rod and can't be for sure on the specifics of that story to know for sure if it matches what is going on now. Although it seems more than coincidental. My grandfather is still alive but was diagnosed with cancer almost right after that event happened and while he is still alive - he can't remember much of the specifics of the whole event (it was over year ago and he is already on borrowed time after all the chemo and drugs).
jaxwithanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
f.monroe

Re: 1987 TBI - 383 Swap - Runaway Idle Help

Could be getting air from somewhere other than the tbi gasket. Maybe a leak within th brake booster?
Just a thought.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
jaxwithanx

Re: 1987 TBI - 383 Swap - Runaway Idle Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Could be getting air from somewhere other than the tbi gasket. Maybe a leak within th brake booster?
Just a thought.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Will go check here shortly....any other suggestions are welcome. It's killing me. It idles fine for a bit...then slowly starts taking off....
jaxwithanx is offline   Reply With Quote