The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Not sure What to do with her???

Im not completely sure what to do with my 70' Lwb c10 shes nothin special but shes special to me shes basically stop exept for the few mods i added like the 85 burb push bumper ,the salvage yard bench seat,the engine i have no clue what to do with her im sorta a rockabilly greaser kinda guy and rat rod has crossed my mind many a times but im still not sure im thinkin maybe a street legal weekend dragster or mabe even a c50 pick up i cant decide i was wondering if i could get a few suggestions and pics of custom rat rod,hot rod,race,heavy duty c10's so i can get some more idears an inspiration ill post a few pics of how she looks right now
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Re: Not sure What to do with her???

Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Also id like to add that im 16 years old an i took this truck completly apart and put it all back together except the engine an tranny but i did do some of it
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I was in your situation when I was 16 quite a long time ago now. I sanded it all down, got it as straight as I could, and my dad primed and sealed it flat black for me. I drove it like that to High School and to my last year at Clemson. I loved it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I was in your situation when I was 16 quite a long time ago now. I sanded it all down, got it as straight as I could, and my dad primed and sealed it flat black for me. I drove it like that to High School and to my last year at Clemson. I loved it.
you know that was the original plan for her thats crazy but ill never let this truck go i love it ....i aint havent driven her yet waitin on my licence in a few weeks
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
jocko

I'd use it as a "learn how to paint" truck and since you're probably short on money like all 16 year olds, think of it as a training canvas. Take your time, go slow, maybe white top, solid color body and hone your skills. You're already doing great for a 16 y/o if you had it apart and back together.

It's a nice truck - look for some of the missing trim on the for sale section of the site, and take your time and give er a paint job on your own schedule and as money allows. Good wheel/tire combo for a cool driver. I (personally) wouldn't rockabilly rat rod it - but that's just my 2 cents. Nice truck, just suggesting you could set your sights on learning a new skill that will save you $$$$ over your life if you stay in this hobby.

Keep up the great work.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck

I also can't stress this enough, and I wish someone would have told me this when I was 16. USE A RESPIRATOR. A dust mask is not a respirator. At a minimum use the 3M organic compound paint respirator, they sell them at lowes. The filters also need to be changed regularly. They're basically only good for one round of painting. About a year ago I bought a Hobby Air fresh air respirator system for $600. One of the best things I've bought for my garage.

They also have "hot rod flatz" paint now a days, comes in just about any color. You can paint it a flat color, then door a cool door logo, or something cool, and the flat will hide imperfections better, as you work on your body work skills you can move to shiny paint someday (one of the reasons I did my truck in flat)
Project "On a Dime"
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

You definitely need to paint that rascal crimson and cream, and get a horn that plays Boomer Sooner.

Take your time and spend money on things that will make reliable instead of shiny. A truck that won't get you where you're going is no fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Slam it to the ground and drive it as is... it's already got the "rat rod" potential.

Just don't weld a bunch of goofy junk on it...

You're young... drive the snot out of it, and spend your cash on movies, cruisin' around, and girls...

It's what I did when I was 16... a lot of my buddies had "nice" cars. I had a '69 Riv for a bit, and the engine needed work, so then I had a '63 Chevy C10 that was a rusted hulk. We torched the springs and slammed it to the ground. It had an inline 6, and a bench seat, and a pair of fuzzy dice hangin' from the rearview. It wasn' fast, and it rode like crap... but for some reason... chicks dig an old truck. Prissy chicks fall for the guys driving Camaros and Mustangs...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 08-07-2012 at 11:46 PM.
GASoline71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Wbrown

I'd make sure it started and ran perfect everytime sand around on her for that awesome patina look throw some 22's on her all day on craigslist for 5 or 600 and drive it also on another note ZOOMIN had a pretty good idea but he got the colors wrong its SCARLET and CREAM (HUSKERS 4-LIFE)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
chicks dig an old truck. Prissy chicks fall for the guys driving Camaros and Mustangs...
I own both, best of both worlds
Project "On a Dime"
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
chicks dig an old truck. Prissy chicks fall for the guys driving Camaros and Mustangs...

Gary
haha well my step dads got a sweet 69 camaro haha guess i got best of both worlds two
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'd use it as a "learn how to paint" truck and since you're probably short on money like all 16 year olds, think of it as a training canvas. Take your time, go slow, maybe white top, solid color body and hone your skills. You're already doing great for a 16 y/o if you had it apart and back together.

It's a nice truck - look for some of the missing trim on the for sale section of the site, and take your time and give er a paint job on your own schedule and as money allows. Good wheel/tire combo for a cool driver. I (personally) wouldn't rockabilly rat rod it - but that's just my 2 cents. Nice truck, just suggesting you could set your sights on learning a new skill that will save you $$$$ over your life if you stay in this hobby.

Keep up the great work.
you have a really great idea man ive already started on painting but just pinstriping as you can see from the engine bay but i need better brushes. and thankfully i have the awesome art of welding down to perfection.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbrown View Post
I'd make sure it started and ran perfect everytime sand around on her for that awesome patina look throw some 22's on her all day on craigslist for 5 or 600 and drive it also on another note ZOOMIN had a pretty good idea but he got the colors wrong its SCARLET and CREAM (HUSKERS 4-LIFE)
man i wish i new about the patina look when i got her she had it oh boy did she have it im tryin to sand the rattle can primer off to were you can see the paint again then just clear coat her