The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
mcurry2885

A/C line questions...

I have an 86 Short bed that i'm building an engine for, and i'm going to put a serpentine accessory kit from a 95 c1500 on it. I'm wondering what some of you have done for the A/C lines.

Seeing as how the stock compressor location is on the driver side for an 86, and the serp. kit places it on the passenger side, I wouldn't think original lines would work.

I thought about using stock lines from a 95' model, but the evaporator is in the dash, and thus I would have too much line again. I searched but couldn't find any other options but custom lines...I also looked at an 89 K5 Blazer since it's the same body style, but couldn't figure out if that year model had the compressor on the driver or pass. side? (they swapped somewhere around there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
mcurry2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
TheApocalyptican

Re: A/C line questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurry2885 View Post
I have an 86 Short bed that i'm building an engine for, and i'm going to put a serpentine accessory kit from a 95 c1500 on it. I'm wondering what some of you have done for the A/C lines.

Seeing as how the stock compressor location is on the driver side for an 86, and the serp. kit places it on the passenger side, I wouldn't think original lines would work.

I thought about using stock lines from a 95' model, but the evaporator is in the dash, and thus I would have too much line again. I searched but couldn't find any other options but custom lines...I also looked at an 89 K5 Blazer since it's the same body style, but couldn't figure out if that year model had the compressor on the driver or pass. side? (they swapped somewhere around there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Best would be to get some lines like I have in my 90 Sub. Problem is I'm not sure where they can be bought as most places list the older style/length of hoses as fitting a 90. LMC has a seperate part # for the 89-91, so maybe they do carry them, and it's just not in the diagram.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
mcurry2885

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheApocalyptican View Post
Best would be to get some lines like I have in my 90 Sub. Problem is I'm not sure where they can be bought as most places list the older style/length of hoses as fitting a 90. LMC has a seperate part # for the 89-91, so maybe they do carry them, and it's just not in the diagram.
That's exactly the problem i'm having...****Zone and others have the same part number for for 87-91, and i'm 99.9% sure that can't be because of the driver/pass. side location swap that happened somewhere in there...I just got off the phone with Everco/FourSeasons, and the guy told me "I don't know what to tell ya!"

But you can verify that on your 90 Burb the compressor is on the passenger side? If so, that's probably my answer is to go to LMC!

Thanks,
Michael
Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurry2885 View Post
That's exactly the problem i'm having...****Zone and others have the same part number for for 87-91, and i'm 99.9% sure that can't be because of the driver/pass. side location swap that happened somewhere in there...I just got off the phone with Everco/FourSeasons, and the guy told me "I don't know what to tell ya!"

But you can verify that on your 90 Burb the compressor is on the passenger side? If so, that's probably my answer is to go to LMC!

Thanks,
Michael
I tried both autozone and o'reilly when I changed my hoses. Both were too long. The only ones that are the right length were the ones with rear air, but that left another "branch" on the hoses that is unneeded. I ended up getting my lines from a local a/c place. You could also see about finding a big local a/c place that has the hoses, or could custom make you a set.
My compressor is definitely on the passenger side. All the other 90's I've seen under the hood of have it there. I'm guessing the 89-91's all have it there.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

Here in southern HotZona there are shops that make custom A/C hoses to suit. I would check that out in your area. A/C repair shops should know where they are. I had custom hoses made for my 83 when I first got it. As I recall, it was not very expensive, but that was about 10 years ago.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Here in southern HotZona there are shops that make custom A/C hoses to suit. I would check that out in your area. A/C repair shops should know where they are. I had custom hoses made for my 83 when I first got it. As I recall, it was not very expensive, but that was about 10 years ago.
The local place here want $50 for a custom set of hoses when I inquired due to using a universal condenser. Got a stock one though, so I never went that route.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You have two options. Take the 88-95 hoses to a shop and have them cut and crink the ends to correct length. Or go to a shop and have them made.

When I installed my serpentine belt system, I drove my truck to the A/C shop. They measured and made new lines. Cost $100 a few years ago. Well worth it. The R134 molecule is smaller than R12. The new lines will have a barrier between the outter and inner hose. I can measure mine if you want to take measurements to a shop.

Be sure to install a new crossflow condensor. I've run a stock and crossflow condensor with R134. Huge difference. The crossflow cools way faster and better. I even run a R12 low pressure switch.
New condensor:

Pics:

Serpentine belt:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
mcurry2885

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
You have two options. Take the 88-95 hoses to a shop and have them cut and crink the ends to correct length. Or go to a shop and have them made.

When I installed my serpentine belt system, I drove my truck to the A/C shop. They measured and made new lines. Cost $100 a few years ago. Well worth it. The R134 molecule is smaller than R12. The new lines will have a barrier between the outter and inner hose. I can measure mine if you want to take measurements to a shop.

Be sure to install a new crossflow condensor. I've run a stock and crossflow condensor with R134. Huge difference. The crossflow cools way faster and better. I even run a R12 low pressure switch.
New condensor:

Pics:

Serpentine belt:
Yep, i'll definately be getting that condenser...I actually read some of your posts from a couple of years ago and made that decision! As for the a/c lines, LMC discontinued the ones that I need, but after doing some measuring on a friend's 95 Sierra, it looks like the lines for an 89 K5 blazer will work perfectly.

Also, I called up the manufacturer, and verifed that ALL their new lines are assembled with barrier hose.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I think i'm squared away now!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Add a new blower fan!! $15 is worth a new fan!! I started to use my A/C so much the stock one was starting to fail and blow fuses. It was taking too many amps to start it up. The bearings were shot.