The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
jocko

4 wheel disk kits - quick question on the parking brake...

I've been looking at a few kits (and also piecing it together with some gm parts), but the same general question keeps coming up - the dang parking brake...

Anyone installed any of the big name kits (CPP, POL, ECE, etc) that had success/frustration/whatever when it came to the parking brake? I'd prefer to maintain the stock pbrake handle and use the stock crossmember - so, in other words, tie into the stock system, yet have rear disks!

Just wasn't sure how some of the different kit-makers rigged up the parking brake (inner drum on the rotor, clamp pressure on the disk, etc etc)

Here's some of them, and some of them reference having the correct hookup, but not real clear on how it works. Appreciate anyone's experiences with this issue, thanks! Mostly interested in how the supplied E or P brake cables connect into the existing system and to the rear disks.

Also... since I'm asking brake questions - for someone who has installed front disks from a kit, how much do they bump the front wheels outward? Have heard different amounts...

CPP http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6366cbk-6.htm
POL http://www.performanceonline.com/196...Brake-Booster/

Looks like ECE only offers front disk brake conversion kits.
Again, will more than likely piece together a set vice buy a big kit, but the kits above at least show the parking brake cables, and that's what I'm askin about - thanks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Rich 5150 69

Re: 4 wheel disk kits - quick question on the parking brake...

Jocko, I had talked with ECE sometime back...Fronts disc`s will move the wheel centerline out 3/4 inch per side, if you run the later model modular disc, 3/8 of an inch per side....I believe all rear disc`s use inner drum on rotor, except for some street rod kits that use drive line disc brake as a parking brake, fine for a 1500 lb roadster, not for our trucks....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
tincan1966

The kit I am using , uses 1980 Cadillac ElDorado rear calipers, which use a cable operated park brake and stock Cadillac park brake cables from the calipers forward. it would be easy to adapt this to the original truck park brake system.

My kit uses:
Caliper brakets from EBay $75 shipped to my door
1980 Cadillac rear calipers $ 65 ea w/pads
Cadillac rear brake hoses $16 ea
Cadillac rear park cables(I used two left sides to have equal length. original Cadillac are longer on the pass side) $45/side
1988-1991 Chevy/GMC K1500 rotors(the light duty .96" thick) about $25 each

Pretty economicalkit overall, with no modicication to axle or housing. And also, easy over the counter common parts at any parts store.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
argonaut

I'm same as tincan. The CPP kit I bought supplied Eldorado rear caliper which mount like the fronts, but are smaller and have a lever that actuates the screw-in style pistons. Then they use cables that aren't all that dissimilar from the stock cables to actuate them. You could rig these up to the stock lever quite easily. You probably would need to crimp on some new ends once you determine the correct lengths, placement, etc.

I chucked that original lever crossmember when I converted to an auto trans. So now I just run the two caliper cables up the trailing arms, to the rear trans crossmember, where they wrap around a couple of pulleys fixed to the crossmember. Then those two cables attach to the single main handle actuator cable... Clear as mud?

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
jocko

thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I think most aftermarket kits use eldorado calipers - and you gave me a warm fuzzy about a lack of difficulty hooking up the rear parking brake.

tincan - you said your "kit" but sounds like you pieced it together? If it's a kit, who makes it?

I like to keep things remotely stock looking under the hood, prefer GM booster/mc close to the firewall, but the kits are an attractive approach to it all. I already have Capt's bracket, and I could use that if I just grabbed a vette mc and booster I'd imagine. Or something like that.....

Thanks again all!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
LT1 Burb

I used the caddy rear setup from TSM and all I had to do was lengthen the stock clips that the e-cables hook into. The cables are just a little short to reuse but e-brake works well and it stops un60suburbanlike.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I used the caddy rear setup from TSM and all I had to do was lengthen the stock clips that the e-cables hook into. The cables are just a little short to reuse but e-brake works well and it stops un60suburbanlike.
how do they actuate, hydraulically or mechanically?. eg on drum brakes the brakes are applied by hydraulic pressure. when you apply the emergency it is actuated by mechanical linkage
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
LT1 Burb

They are mechanical and the cable pulls the linkage which closes the caliper on the rotor.I don't believe they use the fluid in the caliper but I could be wrong.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
They are mechanical and the cable pulls the linkage which closes the caliper on the rotor.I don't believe they use the fluid in the caliper but I could be wrong.
thank you; did check it out further and it is mechanical. was just wondering how it all worked.
http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/s...s/3519P-08.pdf. you will have to scroll down to page 10 of 16 to read about it and the illustrations(they wouldn't copy),so the link.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
GMC66

have a look at these. I just ordered them for my 66, I will let you know how they work out.

http://www.performanceonline.com/63-...ake-cable-set/
GMC66 is offline   Reply With Quote