The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
A.Bursell

Help with Sport Bumper details

Hello,

I'm getting ready to install a sport bumper on my '67 C10. I bought all new, so I have the bumper, inside and outside brackets, the shields for over top of the brackets, license plate insert, license plate light, and hardware for everything. Well, I thought I had everything...

I seem to have overlooked the hardware to attach the license plate light assembly to the license plate insert. What is the correct hardware for attaching that? I don't see it in any of the catalogs, and I want it to be correct.

Also, It appears somewhere along the way the original license plate wire was cut and just spliced to the step bumper that was on there, rather than using the connector. Where can I get the connector to repair my truck harness so I can just plug in the new light?

Lastly, the license plate insert has square holes for the plate. Do I need to go to the auto parts store and get some of those square plastic inserts to hold license plate screws or how should the plate attach?

Thanks!

Adam
A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
A.Bursell

Re: Help with Sport Bumper details

ttt
Old 08-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
NC67Chev

Heres a shortcut for the small bumper bolts to attach the license plate bracket:

http://www.classicparts.com/1967-87-...info/65%2D107/

You are correct regarding the square plastic inserts.

You should have luck with the connector at Napa. Just bring your light connector with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
A.Bursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
Heres a shortcut for the small bumper bolts to attach the license plate bracket:

http://www.classicparts.com/1967-87-...info/65%2D107/

You are correct regarding the square plastic inserts.

You should have luck with the connector at Napa. Just bring your light connector with you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the reply.

1) I have bolt to attach the bracket, what I'm looking for are the correct screws to attach the license plate light to the license plate bracket.

2) Square plastic inserts are easy, I should be ok with those then--thanks.

3) The light wire connector looks like a special one to me, not a generic one. Will Napa have the right one or just one that fits? I want it to work, but would also like correct if possible.

Adam
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
NC67Chev

Below are pics of the stainless screws that hold the light in place. I doubt you will be able to buy the correct connectors new...they were black and rubberized. Below is a pic of the female connector. I'm sure you could find someone on the parts board that could get the screws and connectors for you if you want them to be factory correct. Napa will definitely be able to supply you with something that works correctly though.
Attached Images

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
A.Bursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
Below are pics of the stainless screws that hold the light in place. I doubt you will be able to buy the correct connectors new...they were black and rubberized. Below is a pic of the female connector. I'm sure you could find someone on the parts board that could get the screws and connectors for you if you want them to be factory correct. Napa will definitely be able to supply you with something that works correctly though.
Excellent!

Thanks for the help. I know I can get stainless screws like that (do you know the size?) and probably star washers to match.

I'll stop by Napa and see what they have, and post an ad otherwise.

Thanks again for the help-- much appreciated!

Adam
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
A.Bursell

No luck on the light connector. Anyone have ideas for someone who would have it? Do the wire harness reproduction companies sell components like that?

Adam
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
leddzepp

You would need to buy a whole new taillight harness for that connector (around $100). I would just go to a junkyard and cut one off a truck and then splice it into your existing harness.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
A.Bursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
You would need to buy a whole new taillight harness for that connector (around $100). I would just go to a junkyard and cut one off a truck and then splice it into your existing harness.
Sounds like what I will need to do. I'm able to repair the rest of the harness ok, just missing the connector.

Any ideas for other vehicles that used the same connector? I know I can just dig, but would be nice to save some time. Hopefully it's not limited to just 67-72 trucks...

Adam
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
WIDESIDE72

I used a crimp on bullet connector on mine. Worked fine and better than alternative of a new harness. The bolts to hold on the plate frame to the bumper are 1/4 or 5/16 (i forget) carriage head on all that I have seen. Plastic inserts to hold plate on
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote