The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
'87 Static Slam

Head Gasket Blown???

how can i tell, easily, if my head gasket is blown??

i got white smoke coming out of the drivers side tailpipe, oil looks fine. runs like ****, and has a massive power loss...

Blown head gasket? how can i be sure if it is?

thanks guys!!
'87 Static Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: Head Gasket Blown???

Sounds like it to me. But to be sure, you normally do a leak down test and compression test. Also keep an eye on coolent level.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
'87 Static Slam

OK, i just did a compression test on the drivers side (that what side was smoking at the tailpipe) and i have 60lbs on 1, 5, 7 and NOTHING on 3!!!

it farts at me when i take the tester off, so isn't there some sort of compression happening there? i hooked up the tester 3 times and i got NOTHING out of cylinder #3. zero, ziltch, notta!!

is this a blown head gasket? is there something else that would make this do this other than the head gasket?

thanks again guys!!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
hoppa

The heads are coming off..so just go ahead and get it over with. Sorry and good luck.
1984 Chevy C30 Ramp truck
hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
hotrod_991

i must agree that the heads are destined for the bench in the near future.

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
'87 Static Slam

ok, i popped off the valve cover today. one set of lifters is not moving. there are two sets for each cylinder, and the one closest to the front of #3 is not moving.

broken rod??
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
'87 Static Slam

ps, this motor only has 8k miles on it.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
hoppa

Flat cam? Broke cam? I hear the intake bolts begging to come out lol
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
'87 Static Slam

the whole assembly, rocker arm, was loose. to the point that i could move it out of the way and remove the push rod.

should i try and tighten it back up and see what happens? or am i risking destroying things that werent yet broken?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
'87 Static Slam

yeah, intake side is not working. im thinking either a wasted lifter or a flat cam?

about to call comp cams and see if they are familiar with this. im so bummin! $2400 on this motor, only 8k miles, shop that built it.......out of business!!

when it rains it pours!!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
hotrod_991

i would adjust all the lifters porperly and see what happens. I know just just recently collapsed a lifter and the way i could tell was with the pushrod sitting in the hole ontop the lifter i could push it down with my hand. You should not be able to do that. a proper lifter will take some real pressure to depress it. i would try it on the one that was not moving.

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
cableguy0

Cam is wiped out. What kind of oil are you running? Did you do the proper break in procedure when you first fired the engine up? If the lifter isnt moving at all that cam and lifters are trash. The rest of the engine needs to at least be checked. The metal off the cam isnt good for the rest of the engine either.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
hoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
What kind of oil are you running? Did you do the proper break in procedure when you first fired the engine up? If the lifter isnt moving at all that cam and lifters are trash. The rest of the engine needs to at least be checked. The metal off the cam isnt good for the rest of the engine either.
X2 Break in is VERY important..and even more important is use the correct oil. Todays oil off the shelf is crap for non-roller cams. Alot of ppl don't know that. Easy way to get the good stuff is run diesel motor oil.(10-30) They still put the additives you need in it. I always run it for the first 500 miles before switching to a syn. oil.
If ya need help with flushing the motor out just ask, there are many ways to do it..I use diesel fuel.
Is that intake off yet?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
'87 Static Slam

I was never told by the engine builder that i needed to ad zinc to my oil!!! i spoke with comp cams tech today and they assured me that i have a flat lobe in the cam due to this. apparently its a common thing?

Hotrod, i tightened the lifter bolt back down and i do have a very small amount of movement. but my mechanic buddy (im a total novice) came by today and gave me the warm and fuzzy. "dean, $400 bucks in parts and some cold beer, i will yank this motor out, clean and make sure there is no metal floating inside, install a new cam and lifters, and your back on the road!"

well, im scared to death to rip this thing apart in my garage, but im gonna do it! get ready for lots of questions fellas! lol.

Hoppa, is there a way to flush this thing out without removing the whole engine? how do you use deisel fuel to do it? im all ears. if i can keep the engine in it would save me a whole lot of hassle seeing how i dont have a picker or a stand! and being as low as i am its gonna be a ***** to get underneath it!

thanks again guys, ya'lls information is priceless!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:32 AM   #15
hotrod_991

well sounds like the nose if comeing off the truck now cause to me that seems like the easiest way to get the cam out and install the new one. What is this zinc additive i hearing about? I dont think there is any in mine iether. just went 250 or so miles and after collapsed lifter i changed to 50wt oil. Good luck with all the repair man I am about to pull my intake and do my lifters so i feel your pain.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
cableguy0

Btw just to clear things up. The diesel oils such as rotella or del-vac dont have enough zinc in them either anymore. You need to just run a bottle or zinc additive if your going to use conventional oil. The best option is just to run synthetic. Royal purple,amsoil and mobil1 all have oils that are fine to use with a flat tappet cam. Royal purple also has a break in oil.

Hotrod, are you sure the lifter is collapsed and not just worn through on the bottom from the cam going flat. They will wear through far enough to actually have a hole in the bottom of the lifter and they will look collapsed but in reality its just a trashed cam and lifters. If you havent been running the proper oil I seriously doubt your problem is as simple as collapsed lifters
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
hoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Btw just to clear things up. The diesel oils such as rotella or del-vac dont have enough zinc in them either anymore. You need to just run a bottle or zinc additive if your going to use conventional oil. The best option is just to run synthetic. Royal purple,amsoil and mobil1 all have oils that are fine to use with a flat tappet cam. Royal purple also has a break in oil.
I am no oil expert, just giving my 2cents with my experience... since things were not 'clear'
I have had no failures yet with della or rotella 15-40 I get from my shop. We buy it for our Peterbilts in 55 gln drums. My cam guy said it was fine to break in or run all the time.
Cable guy sounds like he has done his homework I would go with his advice.I might not be up to date with the oil info
Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #18
hotrod_991

cable guy as we know now i did grind a hole in the bottom of my lifter. I am going to swap cam now. My questions are is royal purple the one to use for break in of the cam? and I have heard that you have to have 500 to 1000 miels on the motor before you can switch to synth with out causeing cylinder glazing. This is my first new motor and Ive already learned a few lessons the hard way thus far and dont wnat to make another one by using the wrong oil or right oil too soon.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #19
hoppa

http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/Fla...chBulletin.pdf
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #20
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppa View Post
I am no oil expert, just giving my 2cents with my experience... since things were not 'clear'
I have had no failures yet with della or rotella 15-40 I get from my shop. We buy it for our Peterbilts in 55 gln drums. My cam guy said it was fine to break in or run all the time.
Cable guy sounds like he has done his homework I would go with his advice.I might not be up to date with the oil info
Its okay for Pets but for flat tappet motors it does not have ENOUGH of the zddp. most oils have almost none, diesel oil has Some but far from enough to always run. It used to have enough but then laws changed, now it does not. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=381780

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
'87 Static Slam

man I cant beleive its been two years! lol

well the silver sled is back on the road, FINALLY got it tore apart and a new cam put in. it was a bad lobe the whole time. all is well, thank you for the tips fellas!