The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
ivorton74

Question about b&m floorshift install

Well i bought me a b&m hammer shift earlier this year to put in my 74.I was gonna have my mechanic install it for me but im getting impatient and want to put it in. Funds are low so cant take it to him right now. I had it mocked up and its seems a bit too low. So how hard is it to install this and what can I do about the height issue. Pics would be a plus.
ivorton74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
mopar346

Re: Question about b&m floorshift install

Not difficult at all, in fact fairly basic in most cases. Not familiar with the hammer but I will assume it is a cable operated shifter. There should be a bracket that mounts to a couple of pan bolts and hook the cable to the tranny shift lever. Find or create a hole for the cable to run through into the cab and mount the shifter to a solid surface and hook up the cable. Should be insrtuction in the box with it, if not should be able to find them on the net somewhere. Adjust it in neutral in most cases and then make sure all the gears click in correctly.

As far as it looking low, it probably is, most floor shifters are designed to be mounted in a car on the tunnel which will set it up higher. I have seen custom boxes or consoles when mounted in trucks but the key is it needs to be mounted solid. I even saw one once mounted in the dash with the face plate and the shift being the only thing sticking out, kinds like and old dash shifter on a van or motorhome. Pretty cool.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
ont_guy_38

I have one and they are pretty straight forward to install. They make shifters just for trucks that are a little higher , you could just add a taller handle to it .

http://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-Light-...45755/10002/-1

1985 C10
2004 Avalanche

Last edited by ont_guy_38; 08-17-2012 at 10:29 PM.
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I chose the B&M truck megashifter. It comes with a riser setup to get the shifter up to your level. If you insist on the B&M Hammer, then I would suggest getting the riser parts for the Megashifter for trucks and my bet is that it will bolt in easily. The Hammer is designed for cars that have the center hump up between the seats.

Open B&M's website and search for the truck megashifter and get the parts list from that page. You will also need the taller plastic shifter cover to fit the taller bracketry. You could just purchase a B&M truck megashifter and then put your hammer handle on that shift stick.
Attached Images

Last edited by piecesparts; 08-18-2012 at 12:06 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote