The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
OutlawRider

67 Chevy C10

Well this is an intro with some questions.

First of, Hi.
My name is Tom and I'm from the NE corner of AR. I'm going to college and work on a farm. I'm a huge fan of this body style. I like the trucks but my ultimate goal is a Gen 1 Blazer.

Now to what I have.
I picked up a 67 Chevy truck that was torn down to the frame for restoration. I gave 500 for it and I believe every body panel is straight for the most part or came with a reproduction part to fix it. I don't know of much rust but it did come with a new set of rockers just in case. I want to say the tailgate will be the hardest as it has a slight dent in the lettering. No motor or tranny though. Big back window I think. Non AC. And I believe was a V-8 factory. Oh and short bed.

Now to what I believe will be going in it.
I just bought an 04 GMC sierra 1500 wrecked for 1200. Complete 4x4 drive terrain with 150k on the clock. Was well taken care of and a really clean motor for age and miles. I don't believe it ever left the street.

Here are the plans and questions. I know the answers are more about what I want to do and what makes me happy but relative answers work great for me right now.

It will be a frame off I believe resto (if frame off means all body parts taken off and painted including the frame). I am going to pull everything out of the 04 and put it under that truck. That means the rear axle will have disks, just need to weld on brackets for the stock suspension. I'll use the new brake booster along with all the great things like fluid bottles and what not. I'll cut down the stock wiring harness to fit the truck. I think you see where I am headed with this. Old truck with a new spirit. Probably easier to swap bodies but who really likes to take the easy way out? lol

So if this makes sense to ya'll, what would the truck be worth if it was pretty good job (I'm hoping show quality)?
Is it worth making it into a 4x4 or will that decrease the value or possibly help (because I have everything I need)?
I am into it so far 1700. I'm thinking the interior may get rough on the pocketbook. What would be a reasonable budget for this build?
Or should I quit while ahead and sell off all the parts?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains and I'm excited to start my long journey of research!

Last edited by OutlawRider; 08-18-2012 at 01:20 AM.
OutlawRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: 67 Chevy C10

As far as the 4x4 swap, the transfer case is on the wrong side for a GM straight axle swap and the IFS would be a fabrication nightmare.... If you want a 4x4 it will be a little more work. If you were just going 4x4 because you have a donor truck I would conver the 4L60e from 4WD to 2WD and sell the extra parts to offset the cost of the conversion.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
OutlawRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
As far as the 4x4 swap, the transfer case is on the wrong side for a GM straight axle swap and the IFS would be a fabrication nightmare.... If you want a 4x4 it will be a little more work. If you were just going 4x4 because you have a donor truck I would conver the 4L60e from 4WD to 2WD and sell the extra parts to offset the cost of the conversion.
Most of what I know is 4x4. The swap would be easy. Just get a Ford axle and go. Restoring is new to me. No IFS either. The front IFS differential will be sold. If it made the truck worth more, I wouldn't mind the swap. But it would have to pull about 1k more for it.

I'm thinking hard about selling my current DD if this truck turns out well enough and drive it. My Jeep just isn't cutting it on gas mileage.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
OutlawRider

Anyone else have any suggestions?
I'm all ears as I really want to do this right and learn along the way.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Just my opinion but the 2wd is better off as a 2wd.If you want a 4wd then find a rolling chassis and use the transfer case and axles that came with it.The LS swap will get you a cool reliable cruiser but I think going 4X4 is going to be expensive.JMHO.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
OutlawRider

Do ya'll know if the AC unit from under the dash of the 04 can be made to fit into the 67?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
OutlawRider

I hope I don't come across as a quick fix and sale. Like I'm just using ya'll and once sold out the door. I hope to possibly turn this into a DD and sell my Jeep. I just really don't like driving it.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
cleanfreak

There is a guy up here (ontario , canada) that has done 2 blazers , both "body swaps" , using the 04 style frame ,shortened , running gear , wiring , ac , complete. I don't have any more info on it , but he makes it sound easy.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
OutlawRider

Awesome. I figure it's like anything, the best way to learn is dig in. I just hope my fab skills are up to the test. I'll hopefully provide pictures soon.