The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
cpavelko

Blazer Security Options

Hey guys,
Just wanted some opinions on security systems for the old blazers especially now that I have a soft top. I don't see the need to install a new secuirty system with remote lock and starter etc that I don't plan on using and I don't have a nice enough truck that i want to use Lojack. I was thinking of using a GPS tracker, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GTU-GPS-Tracking-Unit... http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GTU-GPS-Tracking-Unit...or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Buddy-Child-GPS-Track... http://www.amazon.com/Little-Buddy-Child-GPS-Track...
and a immobilizer. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RFID-transpo...a3e9bb&vxp=mtr

Let me know what you guys think.
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
My3Sons!

Re: Blazer Security Options

I've been trying to figure out the same thing, a good thread I came across was: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=474293&page=2

The general theme here is there isn't much you can do to prevent a simple hot wire on these old rigs, but I like the idea of GPS tracker, at least gives you something to show the cops, or your own vigilante justice if you know what I mean.....
My3Sons! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
hotrodhomi

what ever you decide to do for security is good for a piece of mind, but just make sure your insurance covers theft and you set it for an amount you could replace what you have.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
1972CST

The best way to deal with theft is to prevent it. I just leave an empty holster in the drivers seat
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Bshift426

When I did the rewire on my Blazer I installed the Maxi-Fuse in a hard to reach spot that wasn't easily noticeable by tracing wires. Now if I am out and about in it and worried about it being gone when I come back out, I just pull the fuse and put it in my pocket.

Bshift426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
chevy72blu

Strategically placed kill switch wired to the coil (so that the motor will still crank and just act like it will not start) is my favorite method. Fuel pump relay isnt a bad option, either.

My 72' C-10 was broken into twice and it was still sitting where I left it.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
rgardjr

Working on something like this for my boat. A guy on one of the other forums I hang out at is selling a push button starter that replaces your key.

I am going to add an RFID system to his set up when I put it in my boat. I'd been looking at a commercial solution for my motorcycle for a while, but just couldn't pull the trigger on $175. Bought three of the RFID transponder setups off of Ebay for $18. I thought the range of the RFID would be better but it's only advertised as 3"-4" from the antenna on the Ebay units I bought.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

I have a few measures for my blazer since I drive it daily.

One is I never take the top off so I can at least lock the darn thing

I have a couple of kill switches hidden,,,that use a key to unlock. One for the fuel pump and the other is power to the computer (LS swap )

I can activate either and take the keys, so even if they find the kill switches, they won't be able to activate them.

A noisy alarm may attract unwanted attention although they sometimes aren't much of a deterant.

I also pack a pistol with me at all times, and I've also done what was previously mentioned, leaving the empty holster on the front seat if I feel I'm in a not so great area.

None of this matters however if you have someone come along with a hook and they simply drag it away. Try to park defensively.

Lastly,,,,I never really leave it parked anywhere I can't watch it from a distance. I know where I'm going, where I plan to be, so I generally find a place to park away from people that gives me a decent line of sight.

I believe that anything you do (although never full proof) that may slow a potential thief down will make him think twice and probably move on to a much easier target
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
TonyJohnson

How about a kill switch with a line lock setup on your brake line. That would make it a pain to tow.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
cpavelko

Thanks for the input guys. Think I may try this Ciragette Lighter Kill Switch idea along with something else. (See below from other thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
This diagram shows the flaw (arrow)

This one shows the correction.

I remember back in high school i bought a 79 Bronco. It had a switch in the back seat ash tray which turned on a blinking light on the dash. Didn't know what it was at the time when I was cleaning the car. My friends found it while I was driving, and they ended up turning it on. Needless to say it was a kill switch to the coil and stopped the engine while i was rolling down the road @ 50 mph. lol. That was interesting.
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
AlaskaMatt

I don't do it often but will sometimes just pull the 12v wire off the dizzy. It sits right there and looks like it's still plugged in.

Pretty similar to the fuse idea.

I also now have a battery kill switch where the switch itself is a key. You can kill power and take the key with you.

Both the above are defeat-able by anyone with some sense and a bit of time. Hopefully the thieves have one or the other but not both.

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpavelko View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Think I may try this Ciragette Lighter Kill Switch idea along with something else. (See below from other thread)

I remember back in high school i bought a 79 Bronco. It had a switch in the back seat ash tray which turned on a blinking light on the dash. Didn't know what it was at the time when I was cleaning the car. My friends found it while I was driving, and they ended up turning it on. Needless to say it was a kill switch to the coil and stopped the engine while i was rolling down the road @ 50 mph. lol. That was interesting.
Neat idea but I actually use the cig lighter for GPS, radar detector, my sons little DS or gameboy when it needs charged...etc...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
superduty_59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Neat idea but I actually use the cig lighter for GPS, radar detector, my sons little DS or gameboy when it needs charged...etc...
You could add an aux 12v power outlet to power those things.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty_59 View Post
You could add an aux 12v power outlet to power those things.
Haven't heard of that, are you speaking of a basic splitter that plugs into the lighter making it a double connection? I have those (radioshack).
Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
superduty_59

All auto parts stores and Wally World sell them. It's just an aux outlet that you can wire up anywhere. Our Town & Country has them in the back and other places. If you wire up one of those to power phone charger the you could use original cig lighter to use as a kill switch.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Firebirdjones

Ah okay, gotcha.