The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
SL|CK

HELP! Newbie

I've lurking around on here for about 3 weeks now and finally joined. Let me say, there is a ton of useful info on here as well as a lot of knowledgeable members.

I recently acquired my dad's 49 Suburban after he passed away from cancer last month. He has owned it since 95 when he bought it at a local auto action all original for $1500.00. Since owning it he has put a nova front clip, rear end, sb 350 and 350 turbo tranny in it. Along with a lot of body work and replacement parts. Not saying it is perfect because it has a long way to go. Before my dad got sick he talked about doing a frame up restoration, so now I get to pick up where he left off...

I want to do it right so I have come here for help. My first question being about the frame. Since it already has a front clip on the original frame should I keep it, clean it up and box it? Or should I start over, say with a s10 frame? My only concern with keeping the frame it has under it is the front wheels sit slightly back in the wheel wells. I can pick up a s10 frame (118") for 300.00 from a local salvage yard. I know I'm going to air ride it, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any help would be great. BTW if I refer to the suburban as him it's because it's called Barney. My parents neighbor named him that when she was 2 and he was painted purple.
Posted via Mobile Device
SL|CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
pinecrest

Re: HELP! Newbie

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

It is cool that you get a chance to carry on his project, though.

Good luck with everything!
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
mknittle

Sorry to hear about your dad! Cancer sucks!
I would keep the clip if the frame is in good shape . I just boxed the rear of myGmc and it stiffened it up a lot I am getting close to doing the middle and tieing into the Camaro clip. In my opinion the s10 is too narrow in front. people do use spacers but I wouldn't on any front wheels there is alot of stress up there. Just my $0.02

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
SL|CK

Thank you pinecrest. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun doing it. I've done several S10s in my time. I currently have a 02 Ford Lightning that is tricked out and a 09 Honda Accord Coupe that's fixed up as well. No stranger to customizing just not use to doing a hot rod.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
SL|CK

That it does mknittle! The frame is in good shape from what I can tell. Not sure about the welding on the front clip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
booger1949

sorry to hear about your dad, i lost mine to cancer as well an it sucks, nothing wrong with leaving it clipped , there some threads on here with clips an they look good just look around an you will find all the info that u need, my 49 is clipped an it does better than new, so good luck an have fun, even though dad aint there in flesh he will be there in spirit, next time we pass by you going to the mountains ill have to check your project out, we will be coming up in april
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your father, I lost my mother 4 years ago. It's never easy.

I'm no stranger to S10s so I'll throw my $.02 in here. If your concern is welding then going to an s10 frame will pose its on set of challenges, mostly changing body mounts and fabricating in your mounts for your motor up front. The benefit to you wanting to "air" it does come in the fact that the options are almost limitless regarding the link setups and bag/cup options.

However, your front end can also be built on air ride. Look into a few of the Nova forums and with enough lurking you'll see a plethera of air ride nova setups running stock equipment. If your frame is indeed in nice shape, I would box the rear and look into a company called "Danny's Original Customs" He can set you up with a complete bolt on 4 link and panhard bar for your stock frame and get your rear laid out nicely on that burb. The front kits can be found on ebay, but for a truly nice setup you can call Air Ride Technologies. They can help you get setup in the front with a bolt on air kit as well and stiffen up that front so you do not have the "sway" like the nova front clips have. Hope this helps you out a bit, enjoy your build!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
booger1949

hey what about some pics
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
SL|CK

Well I'm on my iPad at the moment so for some reason it will not let me load pics from it to here. I'll get some up tomorrow from my pc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL|CK View Post
That it does mknittle! The frame is in good shape from what I can tell. Not sure about the welding on the front clip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you post some pictures? that would help.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote