The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #26
jocko

Re: T5 help

One more thing - back to Ron's question - now that we know your trans is 80's S10 - do you have a spacer between trans and bell or not? I may have missed an answer to this above, sorry..

EDIT ! I noticed you said you still have the donor release bearing from the S10 - and it was a lot shorter than the one that is currently installed in the truck - is that correct? If that's the case, then I believe you have the correct combo of pp/release brg.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #27
Emmets '63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
ok, thanks emmet - I understand what you had done to the clutch disk itself.
But, for the rest - are you saying you are using your original pressure plate and a matched release bearing - i.e. all you changed was to have an old s10 clutch disk hub rebuilt to fit within your current pressure plate?

Is the release bearing new? If so, it should be the exact same thickness overall as the one you replaced (as long as the pressure plate is original). in other words, described matched - or perhaps confirm what the mechanic thought was matched.

You mentioned it grinds when you try to put it in reverse - I have a dumb quesiton - but I'm assuming the engine is running, yes? What concerns me more is you also said you can't put it in any fwd gears? Can you describe what happens when you try? That sounds like a bit of a different issue than the clutch being engaged or not. What happens when you shift the stick around with the truck not running? On the T5, should be able to row in and out of all 5+R with it not running at a minimum.

If you cannot get it into gear with the truck off, hmmm...
If you can get it into gear with the truck off - what happens when you try to start it?
With the clutch pedal depressed?
With it not depressed?
(btw, be careful, don't accidentally drive through your garage wall doing these tests... might want to consider jacking up the rear axle if you haven't already).

One more thing to consider - not sure anyone mentioned above - do you recall confirming that you put the clutch disk in facing the correct way? There is a difference, and they are usually (supposed to be labeled) so that they can be installed correctly - i.e. flywheel side/pressure plate side, etc.

When I look at the pics - it's kinda hard to tell, but it does appear that the friction surface is clearly engaged in contact with the flywheel in one pic and not in contact in the other....
Yes sir, original pressure plate and same old release bearing.
Engine running: I can't get it into any gear, in reverse, non-synchronized, it grinds; all other gears it just won't go in.
Engine off: It'll go into gears.
If I put it into gear (clutch depressed or not) and bump the starter it it'll lurch forward, same for reverse.
I'm really leaning towards the fact that my brain capacity has diminished so much over the years that it's more and more likely that I've put the disk in facing the wrong direction.
Poised to pull the tranny........
Btw, Emmet was my Grandfather who passed some time ago and he gave me the truck. He bought it new off the lot in California in '63.
Emmets '63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmets '63 View Post
If I put it into gear (clutch depressed or not) and bump the starter it it'll lurch forward, same for reverse.
Ok, thanks emmet - that helps clarify. So, the real problem is that when you press the clutch pedal it's not causing the friction surfaces to separate. That's odd considering they clearly look separated in the pic above.

So, it could be that the disk is in backwards - considering it's a custom build, it may not have been labeled at all - but if in backwards, it's possible the hub itself is engaging/rubbing, etc on the flywheel (not the friction surface, but the center of the bolt area). I have to admit, I'm not quite certain at this point.

Have you adjusted the clutch linkage all the way in one direction to maximize release bearing forward movement? (i.e. when you're under the truck - adjusted it so that the linkage itself appears it would be pushing the shifter fork further REARward (and, since it's anchored on the bell for a fulcrum, moves the release bearing further forward)).

If so, yep, it may be time to yank it out. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

And was that a yes or no on the spacer plate?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
padresag

I think that you better pull it and fix it before you screw it up
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Emmets '63

in the process of adjusting the clutch linkage throw in order to get the maximum throw. If that fails she's comin' out in the next hour!
Affirmative on the spacer plate, I got it from Vintage Metalworks.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
jocko

Got it! Good luck.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
awbrown

In the pics it looked like the disc was favoring the pressure plate ,so I suspect some interferance on the flywheel side , hope it all works out for you ....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #33
Emmets '63

And the verdict is: complacency.
This is a lesson well learned, make absolutely sure the clutch disc is facing the right direction!
Drives like a dream!!!!!
Time for a brew.
THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
dantimdad

Glad to hear it!

Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #35
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmets '63 View Post
And the verdict is: complacency.
This is a lesson well learned, make absolutely sure the clutch disc is facing the right direction!
Drives like a dream!!!!!
Time for a brew.
THANKS EVERYONE!
there are quite a few people that won't make that mistake again. it is lesson just to check things before they go together. you will sleep better tonight
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #36
jocko

good news! Enjoy that beer!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
amccomb

Good info guys!
amccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #38
CRGRS 66

Fantastic news!
This is one of my winter projects, so I have been watching this thread closely. So glad that this was a relatively easy fix for you
...hope your chest gets better

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
awbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
In the pics it looked like the disc was favoring the pressure plate ,so I suspect some interferance on the flywheel side , hope it all works out for you ....
I didnt make the mistake , but I have had interferance issues before , now I know to put the disc on the alignment shaft and spin it while holding it against the flywheel and if there is anything topuching you will know....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #40
1enick72

Glad you got it figured out. When I did my swap the only things I had to do where add the spacer, change the clutch disc and shorten the drive shaft. I left everything else original. Looking over your notes and questions I didn't see anything else.

edited by staff
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote