The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
66/87chevy

Paint code is different WTF?????

So today I started looking into getting some touch up paint for a few scratches on my 87v20.

The paint code in the glove box reads WA-L5118
So I go down to the local auto parts and start looing for the correct paint code to match my RED paint. Well it looks like I'd been had once again WA-L5118 is NOT RED it is BLACK. WOW !!!! I bought this truck last winter from a guy in Minnasota that told me alot of BS and I fell for it. But on the positive side I do love the red paint. Even though it's NOT the original color like the guy said it was. I don't see any signs of any black on this truck at all.
66/87chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
66/87chevy

Re: Paint code is different WTF?????

I will post some pics later
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Does the VIN on the SPID label match the VIN on the dash? Maybe something as simple as someone swapped the glove box.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66/87chevy View Post
So today I started looking into getting some touch up paint for a few scratches on my 87v20.

The paint code in the glove box reads WA-L5118
So I go down to the local auto parts and start looing for the correct paint code to match my RED paint. Well it looks like I'd been had once again WA-L5118 is NOT RED it is BLACK. WOW !!!! I bought this truck last winter from a guy in Minnasota that told me alot of BS and I fell for it. But on the positive side I do love the red paint. Even though it's NOT the original color like the guy said it was. I don't see any signs of any black on this truck at all.
That situation is not entirely unusual. My 72 blazer (which I've known since new) is originally orange,and still has about 50% of it's original paint intact,,,,,but my spid says Olive,,(some sort of green). Original spid that matches serial number as well. I even have old glossy's of the blazer when it was brandy new,,,definately orange,,,not green

I figure someone had a brain fart at the type writer that day Wouldn't be the first time I'm sure.

You would have to dig deep into the truck to find out for sure, down low on the firewall, or behind the dash and/or around the kick panels,,,pull up carpet etc....where a painter typically doesn't go that far for a color change,,,and see what you really have.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
66/87chevy

After looking into this over the weekend I found two little area's of the original black paint. Passanger side door jam has a very small chip, and yes it is black under the nice red paint. Also behind the firewall cover it is black.
I feel pretty ****y about getting tricked from the guy I bought it from. Kinda make me wounder what else he lied about ?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Maybe it's as simple as he just didn't know,,,and wasn't really lying,,,it's just what he believed it to be.

Certainly sounds like a repaint though,,,,resale red seems to be popular
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
66/87chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Maybe it's as simple as he just didn't know,,,and wasn't really lying,,,it's just what he believed it to be.

Certainly sounds like a repaint though,,,,resale red seems to be popular

Yeah I know I'm sure that's what it was. Who ever did it did a very good job it looks pretty nice.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

That's all that matters,,,as long as you're happy