The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
10754u

Cool What would you do?

I know in the end it's personal preference, just curious as to what others would do. I removed and disassembled the bed, removed entire front clip and all wiring (good thing, found a few small burnt wires.) Will be removing the cab today. All original, never molested or cut. No po body work or alterations. It will be a dd. What would you do? Rod it out or factory?
It looks as if everyone that posts pictures of spid's they're loaded with options. Mine only has four, ammeter-oil gauge, white & dark olive, painted bumper and custom deluxe. One more thing exactly what does the Z62 - custom deluxe option come with? I have a radio delete plate and if it didn't come with a radio I will not be putting one in no matter what direction I go.
Thanks,
10754u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: What would you do?

on a really original truck I like to see them put back to original. However, a clean truck is a good platform for personalization....so in the end...do what you are going to enjoy the most...what type of trucks you are drawn to when you look at pictures or build threads on here or at shows...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
69GWC

Build it how you want it and drive it..
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
custom1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
Build it how you want it and drive it..
Posted via Mobile Device
X2,

The first time i restored mine i did it 100% stock. 10 yrs later got bored with that and went the other direction. But, I kept everything that i ever took off the truck so that if i (or a future owner) wanted to return it to original number matching truck they could.
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

I think a person should build the truck for them and not what others would want, within reason. I use to be one that would be build back to original but now i dont think minor changes hurt the values of these trucks. more than likely you are building the truck for you and not intending to sell. if a person builds the truck themselfs they might have a chance to get there money back if they ever decide to sell. But if a person has to farm everthing out. The chances of getting there money they put into will be tuff. And minor changes will not hurt the sell. Good luck with your build.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
I think a person should build the truck for them and not what others would want, within reason. I use to be one that would be build back to original but now i dont think minor changes hurt the values of these trucks. more than likely you are building the truck for you and not intending to sell. if a person builds the truck themselfs they might have a chance to get there money back if they ever decide to sell. But if a person has to farm everthing out. The chances of getting there money they put into will be tuff. And minor changes will not hurt the sell. Good luck with your build.
X2

I agreewitheverything that everyone has said so far. The only thing I'd add is to make sure that what you do is quality work. If you come across something over your head, either learn how to do it or farm it out. Also hang on to anyparts you change if possible. Dad and I are swapping a 454 and 70"r3 out of a 250 six/ 3ott truck but saving the engine and trans just in case
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would build what I wanted.I don't think well thought out mods are determent in any way.Things like PS,PB,A/Cand discs that enhance driveabilty are more likely to make the truck more fun to drive(if you can) and therefore get it used more.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
big d's red67

I'm one of those people that mod everything I own because I don't like stock. I say mod it out make it yours and enjoy.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10754u View Post
... Mine only has four, ammeter-oil gauge, white & dark olive, painted bumper and custom deluxe. One more thing exactly what does the Z62 - custom deluxe option come with? I have a radio delete plate and if it didn't come with a radio I will not be putting one in no matter what direction I go.
Thanks,
Your truck, though not loaded with options is still a very nice looking truck. The dark olive green metalic paint and white top work very well together. The stock white wheels, caps and front bumper add to the effect. But with the addition of the Custom Deluxe trim a number of bright chrome and color keyed vs black changes make for a pleasing efffect. Stock would be my choice, but certainly adding reversable options will add to the enjoyment and pride of ownership. P/S, P/B and rear step bumper would probably be my limit though on this truck. The wood bed is another area for personalization, but on this truck I would probably go with the stock painted wood and unpolished stainless strips. Here is some factory information on the Z62 option. The stock CD seat cover will tough to find and likely need to be custom made with original replacement fabric from SMS, but there are vendors here to help. Unfortunately the only really good picture I have of a stock Custom Deluxe interior is black. But it does however give a good feel. Just remember that most everything black in this picture will be a shade of green in your truck including the vinyl floor mat.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
rico7769
Hybrid67

Do it how you love it. Then, when you get an itch to change it again just do something else. I've never found myself bored with these trucks and have changed color options and engine/tranny combos in my head about 100 times over four years. Guess that's why its still primer black and waiting for a paintjob. My original idea was stock with a slightly modded engine. Now, I want a moderately optioned interior with the CST badging removed so we can badge it up how I want to. Inspiration is everywhere on this board and there's no shortage of options to check out in pics if you venture to do so. Good luck my friend.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
GuyO

10754u, I like the question - because I too had to make that decision. For me, I wanted to drive it not just show it. In Seattle where I live, a 40 year old vehicle in its original state would be a misery on the freeways in its original condition. Unleaded gas w/e10 means hardened exhaust valves, disc brakes are pretty much a must with severe sudden full stops from cruising speed. Don't get me wrong, maybe conditions in Ohio are very different. I think we improved our GMC from its original configuration, it is often the first to leave the driveway on an errand.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote