The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
ronrob84

Drop Springs & Drop Spindles

So I have been looking at old post for the correct stance for my 71 c10 and have saw some post but never what Im really looking for. I found a great deal on a set of CPP 2/4 drop springs with the shocks and picked them up. I want to have a level stance but maintain stock or better ride quality. I have disc brakes up front and plan to add a sway bar.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this level stance without bags and notch?

Do I need drop blocks for the rear? Size of block? Do drop blocks take away ride quality?

Can I run the 2.5 drop spindles with the 2" inch drop springs up front and maintain correct geometry? Any pics of this stance?
ronrob84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Drop Springs & Drop Spindles

Since you've already purchased the springs your kinda committed to a 4 x 4 drop. It will not change the geometry up front as long as you dont go over the 2" drop springs with the 2-1/2" drop spindles. If you use those springs you will have to stick with 70 series tire width up front to prevent rubbing on the inner fenders. I ran the exact set up on my 72 and wound up removing the 2" drop springs and replacing the stock springs with 1/2 coil cut off to raise the front 1" on the stouter stock springs. In the rear, 4" drop springs on a long bed and 5" drop springs on the short bed are about as low as you can go without c-notching the frame. If you haven't already got one, you should get a front sway bar to keep the roll to a minimum and prevent rubbing in the turns. To keep the truck level, your going to have to either c-notch the rear or raise the front and just go with the 2.5" drop spindles on the factory springs. Personally, I like a little rake to the trucks stance. 4" drop in the rear is the limit for the factory pan-hard bar as well as the factory mounts for the shocks, anymore and shock relocaters will be needed. The first pick is with 2" drop springs and 2.5" drop spindles and the second pic is with the 1/2 cut off factory springs I used 4' drop springs only in the rear. 8x15 rally's with 275/60's all around.
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
ronrob84

Just the post I was looking for. I personally like the look of the 2nd pic. I have a short bed so I might go with the 5 inch springs as I will not be hauling anything in my bed.

I def. will add the sway bar up front & plan to use shock relocators with the bent banhard.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
RexDodge

I have the 2.5 spindles with 2" drop coils up front. I tried a set of El Camino coils with 2" blocks in the back and yuk! Just too high for me. I have it up on stands with the ElCamino coils ripped out and waiting on the brown truck to deliver my 5" drop coils. I may have to modify my 2" blocks to get what I want. I would really like just a slight rake. My tires/wheels are 235/60x15 (8" wheel) up front and a 275/60x15 (10 inch wheel) on the back. No problems with clearance but the front tires are too small. I don't think I will get the look I want with this tire/wheel combo but the budget has ran out for this year. I'll just drive it for a bit. ***I have not had the front end aligned yet so the front still looks a little odd. I did a lca relocation to gain caster, we'll see how that turned out next week.
Attached Images

RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
ronrob84

Thanks Rex...... I have read mixed opinions about 5" coils in the back with blocks...but I wasn't sure about adding blocks as well without a c-notch. Please post once you have added the 5" drop with the blocks once installed.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrob84 View Post
Thanks Rex...... I have read mixed opinions about 5" coils in the back with blocks...but I wasn't sure about adding blocks as well without a c-notch. Please post once you have added the 5" drop with the blocks once installed.
Will do. I am anticipating doing a pipe type of c-knotch for a little more clearance and also re configuring my exhaust. At this time I have 3" routed up over the top of the rear end. I should be able to post up a pic of the drop with the blocks tonight.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
ronrob84

Rex, Not sure what type of pipe notch ur doing or ur fab skills, but check out this thread....I believe I will be going with a bolt on notch if it fits my budget rather than cut steel pipe.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=437536
Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
RexDodge

Here area some pictures from my rear spring change before and after. I went from a set of 72 EL Camino coils with a 2" block to a set of CCP 5' drop coils still with the 2" block (7" total drop). The CCP coils came with new plates and bolts in the parts pack. I had to cut my 3" exhaust off so I will dump them in front of the rear end instead of behind. I also cut the boss off where the stock track arm mounted. This weekend I intend to cut my block to 1", do a pipe type of c-notch and will box in the frame on the back side while I am at it. That will give me about a 1.5" rake with my current tire/wheel combo.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
JRE

Wow Looking Good Rex. I need to have someone help me lower my 67
JRE is offline   Reply With Quote