The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Firebirdjones

NWMP tank install with internal pump

It showed up...with an extra sump to install a factory style in tank pump..

Also came with anything you need to install it, including several long pieces of 300 psi hose in 3/8 and 5/16 (stuff is $12 a foot at the stores here) as well as the correct size 1 1/4" filler hose that the stores tell me they can't get around here , all the clamps you would need, zip ties and other odds and ends..

Stuck the blazer on the rack and yanked the old tank..

Initial test fit...slides in without much issue at all. I do have a tailpipe touching on one side but that was to be expected since the exhaust was bent up 15 years ago with no intention at that time to install a 37 gallon fuel tank

While it was in there I took the liberty to drill a hole on each side where the metal tabs stick out and touch the frame to set the height. There were already factory holes in the frame,,,so when I dropped the tank I simply tacked a couple of nuts up there. I could then use a couple of 3/8 bolts to hold the tank and remove the trans jack, make it easier to fool around with the tank straps, then remove the bolts afterwards. I'm all for anything that makes the job easier

I didn't care for the self tapping screws that it came with to hold the pump sump and sending unit, so I took some time to tap everything for 8-32 and install some allen heads..

After washing out the inside of the tank it was time to stick it in the booth for some fresh paint. I had some gunmetal metallic left over from another job and figured why not...

With the tank dry I mocked up the walbro pump on the sump and test fit to the correct depth,,wired it up and installed it..

You can also see in this pic, I made extra long ground wires so I could hook everything up before raising the tank, and will make lowering it at a later date (if need be) much easier.

Here is the sending unit and pump installed, along with extra long vent hoses for the charcoal cannister installed. Those will be trimmed to length once the tank is installed as their connection points are easy to access when the tank is in place. I took the time to check operation of the pump and sending unit at this time,,,everything is ready to go.

Tank is back in the blazer held in with those 2 bolts I rigged up for now so I have room to remove the jack and play with the straps. I sandblasted the straps and clear coated them for a little contrast against the gunmetal paint. They are hanging from the rearend housing to dry (blazer makes a good paint rack ) At this point I also cut some rubber strips (anti squeak) for the straps to keep things quiet. I also installed small pieces of rubber between the frame and tank (where I have temporary bolts) to keep any noise from movement to a minimum.

Straps installed and temporary bolts removed, hooked up the supply and return fuel lines and dumped in exactly 5 gallons of gas I had here specifically for this job, she fired right up. 5 gallons barely moved the gauge to just under 1/8th of a tank Now I have a reference when the gauge gets low.
Drove to the gas station and filled it to the top,,,took exactly another 32.1 gallons so there claim of 37 gallon capacity is spot on.
This picture is sitting here full of gas, and it doesn't appear to be squatting in the back anymore than it usually does. Maybe I could use some softer springs back there

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: NWMP tank install with internal pump

Very nice install (and shop)!
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
29od1

Firebird, it looks like your pics were deleted. Can you upload them to the site so we can see them? I'm interested in this swap. Thanks
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

Arg,,,,looks like I still have my photobucket issues.

Give me a little time and I'll get them back up..sorry
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

Okay, I think I've got most all the pics I had up here. If I'm thinking right, putting them back on Photobucket should make them reappear here. If not I'll have to stick them back in individually.