The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
mexlokote

fuel injection question!

So today I had my fathers friend over and he has been mechanic for a long time
So he looked at my truck 82 Chevy and he was talking about
The possibility to install fuel injection on my truck
He said I could find the factory fuel injection off of a 82 or 83 Camaro
So I just had it in mind is it possible?
Posted via Mobile Device
mexlokote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
HEISEL

Re: fuel injection question!

EFI is never a bad idea. I'm converting my 72 swb 4x4 to EFI. I'm using a complete kit from Howell efi. Check there kit out. I'll tell you up front that it's a $1300 kit. But it's EVERYTHING you need to do the conversion. I found out about this place from jeep guys. You need to be realistic about your hp output because it matters with efi. If you were to call howell and get a kit they will ask you for all the info about the engine, cam, heads, ext... And they will tune the ecu for you. Tbi is prob the easist fuel injection to do IMO. I'm not sure but I think those camaros were tbi. I wouldn't go that way. Tbi came on Chevy trucks from 87-95 and they made more of those than camaros and there all over the junkyards and it's cheap! There is lots of info on how to convert this setup to your truck. I, on the other hand just got a kit. I'm not sure what your goals are with your truck. If your trying to make 500+ hp you prob need a mpfi setup. But you can get tbi kits for that kind of power from Holley and fast ext. Those setup can be in the $2500 range. But if your just running a mild sbc you can use factory tbi stuff. The tbi that came on 305 and 350 trucks was a 500 cfm 2bbl the 454 was 670 cfm I think. Most 87-95 guys will tell you that the 500 wasn't enough for the old tbi 350s so they will upgrade to the 454 unit. I got a 98 350 Vortec in my truck so I got a Holley 670 2bbl for my truck for no extra charge. If your truck is stock or close to it and you wanted to save some money go to the junkyard and get a tbi off a truck and rebuild it. It's cheep and easy. Then you can hack up a factory wh or you can buy one from Howell efi for 250 or something. I would buy one if I were you. It should come with relays and sensors. And it won't look like a rats nest. Wh make me want to puke so that's one of the many reasons I got the kit. Then get a stock replacement fuel pump for a 87. Im sure you know this but 87 was the last year for the square body except for 1ton crew cabs that went to 91 also the blazer and suburban tell 91. 87 was the first year for the tbi. So if you have to go to the parts store get stuff from that year. But rember that trucks came with tbi tell 95. If you have a 4bbl carb intake you'll need an adapter. I got one that came in the kit. Looks like a tb spacer. I went with tbi for a few reasons. 1 reliability! Tbi's never die. 2. All the parts for it you can get at any parts store. So if you truck takes a dump in bfe you can get the parts you need. 3 cold weather starts. 4 it won't stall out offroad. That's if your 4x4. My Modo is "keep it simple stupid" that whats cool about tbi. You could prob get everything you need from a junkyard. Well I'll shut up now good luck. Btw if you wanted to youse camaro stuff because it's hp, it's not. Those year camaro couldn't hit twice the speed of smell. If you wanted a tpi off a late 80s early 90's camaro you would have a pritty cool setup but its a little harder to do.Have fun
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Look at a www.summitracing.com and www.jegs.com catalogue. You'll find bolt on FI in various configurations. For a stock to mild engine, TBI is the best way to go. Mild to crazy HP required MPFI. I've actually considered it for my truck. Way after I finish the body and paint work.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
MalibuSSwagon

I put a TPI from a late 80's camaro on top of my stock 305. Definitely a great upgrade, you will need to learn how to tune fuel injection if you are not using a complete factory EFI engine.

In fact I was going to put together a thread with TPI conversion tips for squares, based on my conversion.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Rich84

I went the TPI route as well...Simple, efficient fuel injection. Low end torque, and paired up with a 700 tranny good gas mileage.
And, they are still the coolest looking set ups out there.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote