The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
scpowell

6 lug to 5 lug question

I am rebuilding a 69 and am converting to 5 lug setup. I have a 71 parts truck that I'm getting the parts from. I know the 71 has a wider wheel width. My question is what do I need to swap out on the front end to get the correct wheel width to match the 5 lug rearend? Just the spindles, or do I need to swap a frames as well. I'm sure this question has already been asked, but for some reason the search feature isn't working on this site today. Thanks
scpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: 6 lug to 5 lug question

The Control Arms for the 69 will work just fine. I have a 68 and used my upper and lower control arms and just switched out the upper and lower ball joints to 71' for disc brakes as the studs are longer.
However it would probably be easier to just swap the entire suspension cross member because its just 10 bolts and they need to be replaced with new grade 8 anyway, and do yourself a favor and go a half inch shorter on the 6 bolts that go verticaly through the frame because they are way way too long from the factory, you will see what I mean when you get that far.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
mcampbell

Re: 6 lug to 5 lug question

Did basically the same thing and to make the suspension new bought a rebuild kit from Early Classic. It is pretty complete (ball joints, idler, pitman etc)and came with new dog bones. I unbolted the old ones from the frame and got the new ones installed in my 71 A-arms. left the old crossmember alone. Only issue then became hooking up the brake lines. drums run on one side of the cross member and discs on the other. Got some longer hoses and it looks and works like a charm. Stan at Early Classic knew which adapters to buy for different size fittings where the hoses meet the hard lines.
Discs brakes are far and away the best mod I have done as far as driving comfort. Nothing matches that mental calculating and tensing up wondering if you will tag the car in front every time the light changes quickly. I drove the old drums for 3 or 4 years before the change.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote