The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Improbcat

Patch panels, which are the most accurate?

I'm going to need to do patching on the '64, and was wondering which company's panels are most accurate for the following:

-DR side rocker panel & outer floor(I need the whole rocker & the top up to the riser for the seat.
-rear bottoms for front fenders.
-front hood edge.
-fleetside bed around wheelwell.

I also am going to be fabricating a lot of other less complex patches, and was wondering if people knew what gauge the sheetmetal on these trucks are. I'm going to be fixing the inner fenders, outer fenders, door skins, tailgate & possibly radiator support.

Thanks in advance!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Larry64

Re: Patch panels, which are the most accurate?

Factory gauge sheet metal on these trucks. Outer body panels are generally 20 gauge, bed panels are generally 16 gauge and floor pans are generally 18 gauge. Saved this from another post a while back, hope it helps.
Larry
Larry64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
I'm going to need to do patching on the '64, and was wondering which company's panels are most accurate for the following:

-DR side rocker panel & outer floor(I need the whole rocker & the top up to the riser for the seat.
-rear bottoms for front fenders.
-front hood edge.
-fleetside bed around wheelwell.

I also am going to be fabricating a lot of other less complex patches, and was wondering if people knew what gauge the sheet metal on these trucks are. I'm going to be fixing the inner fenders, outer fenders, door skins, tailgate & possibly radiator support.

Thanks in advance!
thee are a few on here that say top banana is a fair place to go to
they are a sponsor here I believe or just google top banana
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
andyspinstriping

Smile Re: Patch panels, which are the most accurate?

I have spent TONS of money on OEM, NOS parts before and I can honestly say that in most cases they dont fit much better than aftermarket stuff...that being said, there is some horrible aftermarket stuff out there!
I just had a customer drop off two new fenders from goodmark for his restoration that I am doing and after bolting them up and also bolting up my NOS GM fenders as well I think the Goodmark ones actually fit better! He spent 220 bucks a piece on them and I think they are superior...he just ordered the inner and outer rockers from goodmark as well so once I recieve them and install them I will let you know if they are as high quality as the fenders.
andyspinstriping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
tincan1966

I recently ordered all of my patch panels from Top Banana. Real pleased with the products, but did not have OEM expectations when purchasing them, either. You will get what you pay for. For the money I am pleased. Fit is good. BUT I did not buy any bolt on pieces, so cannot comment about bolt hole locations, alignment, etc.
I can say the thickness of the metal impressed me, as well as the stampings seem very accurate. Had to use 3 pieces to make quarter panels, and they lined up well with each other.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
61K10

i bought two fenders (two different venders) one was Triplus which didn't fit at all. had to do a bunch of mods and the bolt holes are still close to not fitting. the other one was a apec? was printed on the box. fit really well, nothing like the other one. pic. are the shipping box with names. just my .02
Attached Images

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
wahl4m

"andyspinstriping "i have used oem and nos stuff and it always fits good !!!!! whats you smoking ?? truck ,must of been a wreck or rusted out of shape ???
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote