The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
geunther

79 1/2 ton, 4x4, low milage build

I've decided to take the plunge and do a mild restoration. My starting point has 22k miles with no rust. My plans are to keep it mostly original with a few slight modifications.

The main appearance change from stock will be keeping the lift kit that is currently on. A few things are undecided: Do I replace the engine. I would like more power but it's hard to justify replacing. I am currently planning on adding carpet as it came with a rubber floor mat. I am also toying with adding the lower trim and making it two tone, original carmine red with white in the middle and cab top.

Wheels: Leaning towards 10" wide white, just like it came with (only wider) and using the dog dish hub caps.

I will try and document all assembly markings as I go as most of those are in tact.

Starting Point:
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
geunther

Re: 79 1/2 ton, 4x4, low milage build

Replacing two piece drive shaft with a one piece due to the lift and new joint angles. I will keep the original so it would be a simple bolt in to go back to stock.

The transfer case has some build markings in kind of a turquoise color and some numbering. Also the yoke has a green marking. The two pieces of the drive shaft have a silver sticker with what I believe to be the part number printed on them.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

clean truck
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
6thcav

anyone know if i can put a 73-80 front clip on an 81-87 cab
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
geunther

My one piece drive line came in from Tom Wood. It went in effortlessly. The front ujoint angle is about 3 or 4 degrees and the rear is pretty much straight on. (0 degrees). I am going to have to add a shim between the blocks and axle to bring the rear yoke down and compensate for the angled blocks.

I took it for a drive and even with the difference of angles it was very smooth with no detectable vibration.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
I've decided to take the plunge and do a mild restoration. My starting point has 22k miles with no rust. My plans are to keep it mostly original with a few slight modifications.

The main appearance change from stock will be keeping the lift kit that is currently on. A few things are undecided: Do I replace the engine. I would like more power but it's hard to justify replacing. I am currently planning on adding carpet as it came with a rubber floor mat. I am also toying with adding the lower trim and making it two tone, original carmine red with white in the middle and cab top.

Wheels: Leaning towards 10" wide white, just like it came with (only wider) and using the dog dish hub caps.

I will try and document all assembly markings as I go as most of those are in tact.

Starting Point:
i think it sits perfect! i love the tire wheel combo
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
geunther

Thanks,

I am for sure keeping the height the same as it is.

Im not even sure what the wheels are. My brother had them sitting around since the 70s or early 80s. They seemed to be the correct period so I put them on. They are only 8" wide and I am wanting 10"s I think due to the tire size.

The pic shows it with the restored rallies. Man those 4x4 stickers for the center cap are pricey.

The wheels will probably be the hardest issue for me to decide.

10" white with dog dish
8" rallies
8" whatever wheels are currently on it
some modern 17" ish wheel.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

looks great. I am partial to rallies

but i think these trucks look killer when the tires dont protrude from the body too far. but those alum wheels just pop on that truck. I hate more modern wheels on these 4x4 trucks. Keep it 15 or 16. I love your truck.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
geunther

Thanks so much Scottsdale. I also like the tires mostly tucked under the truck. Its kind of a trade off with 12.50s as far as making the tire more rounded vs having them stick too far out.

The current wheels are in great shape, though they could use a polishing. Certainly cheaper than new.

Better side shot image:
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Rallies or those wheels. I had some 10 inch slotted mags before on there and the tire stuck out too far and looked squatty and rubbed. I went to rallies with the 35/12.5/15's and no more rubbing and actually was better offroad.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Chris Guthro

Hard to beat rallys, cant believe i gave away a 10'' wide 4x4 rallys
Chris Guthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
geunther

Found a receiver hitch from a Blazer last night. Held it up to my frame, looks like a simple bolt in. Only mod will be to enlarge two holes on the hitch. Grade 5 bolts should be good enough to bolt to the frame?

Hitch is getting powder coated satin black.

The truck is certainly no towing machine but I want to tow my old Camaro to a show with it at least one time.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

I'd do grade 8. For a few extra dollars you have the peace of mind to know its got the best fasteners you can get for the hitch.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
geunther

Gathered up my trim pieces from a salvage yard today. Got all the lower pieces and the cab pieces too. I had to get different parts from different trucks, a piece here, a piece there. Only two pieces need some slight massaging. A friend's son is going to Wyo Tech and may spruce them up as part of the street rod and fabrication class.

I have a bench seat but I did grab a center console anyway. It needs painted but is in great shape otherwise. Makes me want to install bucket seats.

I also found some of those mud guards that bolt in the rear of the back wheel well. They need blasted and painted.

Things I will go back and get: 73 GMC grill. Numerous fender emblems. Stainless mirrors. Skinny tailgate trim (Chevrolet, not GMC or I would have already taken it) Complete AC system if I go that route instead of Vintage Air.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
geunther

The driver's side chevy piece is in great shape so I am going to swap out the GMC emblem. All the black is faded out but that should be an easy fix. I guess I have a mini project restoring the console.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #16
76/85 Truck

Awesome truck! What size lift?

My first truck!! 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton Camper Special and a 1985 GMC body. Has a 350, 4 BBL Edelbrock, with a Turbo 350, and NP205 T-case.
76/85 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
geunther

Thanks much. The lift is 4" front, 5" rear.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #18
geunther

Prepping the factory tach for install. The gauge cluster had one of the mounting tabs broken off and was generally in rough shape so I am going to install the tach in my original housing. I have the fuel gauge from the same donor and will also install that in my original housing.

I tested the tach and it does work. The white is in good shape but the red and yellow lines are faded. I do not want to buy a whole set of overlays for the one that I actually need so I am trying to come up with a solution to brighten up the red and yellow. The needle also needs freshened up.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #19
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

So far so good!
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
geunther

I got the needle, yellow line, and red lines repainted. It turned ok but not quite as good as I would have hoped. For the yellow and red I made a masking out of the sticky part of a post it note and an xacto knife. I used the post it so it would not stick too much to the white lettering and arc line like tape would have.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
Adam5432002

H2s are my pic.
Adam5432002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
geunther

Rust Inspection

The only rust I have found is where the inner fender brace is spot welded. I am going to look today for some replacement inners but may have to resort to patching the rust. About 1.5" by 2.5" of patching needed. Otherwise all sheet metal in great condition.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
geunther

Ill preface by saying, I do not know exactly what I am doing. I cut out the rust, cut a filler piece from 22 gauge sheet. When I try to weld the metal of the inner fender blows out real bad. I have the welder turned way down, almost as low as it will go. The piece I am using for a filler heats nicely and no issues with it. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I guess I am asking for pointers. Overall it is going ok, but there will be lots of grinding.

Also, I have never patched a rust spot before so I am learning as I go.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
geunther

Right innerfender. Rust cut out and patch tacked in. Some compound curves so took some time to get to the correct shape.

The jacking instructions sticker goes across one of the curves. Where there is a valley some debris got in there and caused some surface rust underneath the sticker. Not yet sure of my solution here as I would like to keep the sticker. I cut along the black dividing line and was able to clean out underneath so I may just proceed that way and seal it back up when done.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #25
geunther

Finally got the rust repaired on the brace. Not that big of a deal in the realm of skills that people on here have, but it was my first attempt. I cut out the raised area of the brace and welded a new piece in. To prevent the rust and hopefully improve on the design, I used panel adhesive to glue the brace back in place. It should also prevent anything from getting in between the fender and the brace.

I accidentally got some of the adhesive on the threads of my bolts used to hold it together until the adhesive set. It was a little tough to get the bolts back apart.
Attached Images