The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

One down, one to go....

This is the first day in a couple of weeks that I have had more than 10 minutes to work on my trucks. I had two jobs this morning.

The 77 started running bad coming home from my last show. I had let it run really low on gas trying to get to the show early and get a good spot in the shade.

It seems like a gas related issue. It idles fine, and revs to just off idle fine as well. Once it gets just a couple hundred rpm off idle, it drops on it's face with no power. It doesn't miss, or sputter, it just acts like I let off the gas. Then it surges a few times and takes off.

I thought it may be trash in the filter, so I changed that out. Nope, not it. It may be a "little" better, but not cured. I'm not sure where to look next.

It doesn't "act" like spark loss, but I am a bit stumped as to what's next. plan to pull the dizzy cap next just to take a look.

The Blazer was my second concern. When I got it home, there wasn't almost no gas in it. I ran it out of gas, and once re-filled, it wouldn't start. The guy that installed it, said every time he ran it out of gas, they had to pull the plugs and clean them.

Clean them??? I asked why not just replace them? Oh, yeah, we should do that. Of course they never did.

I put in a set of Bosch Platnium tips. I like how easy everything is to get to with the LS1 and headers. It took less than 20 minutes to do.
I had a nice long talk with the man above, and twisted the key. YEAH! She busted right off, and purred like a ....ok, she roared like a lion because I revved her twice just for good measure. The neighbors love me:p

Anyway, the Blazer is ready for her journey to Stoked Out Specialties. The 77 is another story all together....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Izzy
Trucker.

Badazz.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #3
bigd65

do you have a fuel pressure regulator on it, that is exactly how mine acted with the regulator on it. i took it off and NO MORE PROBLEMOS
Old 10-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Jeff,
Everything on the 77 is stock, so no pressure reg. I have no reason to suspect it, but I am thinking it might be the fuel pump. It just doesn't act like it spark related, unless it's timing...
Old 10-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Accellerator pump, sounds to me like. Take the air cleaner off and watch down the throat of the carb, while you give it some gas. It don't have to be running to check.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
Accellerator pump, sounds to me like. Take the air cleaner off and watch down the throat of the carb, while you give it some gas. It don't have to be running to check.
Now that makes more sense than the fuel pump. I'll check that out Mike. Thanks...