The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Carsncoffee

What transmission?

I have a 72 blazer with a 383stroker and 400r transmission that is slipping. I want to replace it with something stronger and maybe tow a boat. Any thoughts about 400turbo, 700 or 4L60e transmission?
Posted via Mobile Device
Carsncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: What transmission?

Do you want an overdrive? Is this a 4x4?

If yes to both, then the swap will get expensive and a bit involved.

Depends on what you really want and what you are looking to spend.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Carsncoffee

Yes it is 4x4 and I was looking for overdrive, how much would you estimate it could be?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

The easiest overdrive to swap in is probably the 700/4L60 ( I used the 4L60)

Depending on what you get a transmission for, rebuilt, used core, etc...will reflect on the end price so that's going to vary a great deal. A lockup torque converter could be another expense if the trans doesn't come with one. Just alot of variables here.

I can tell you the adapters for the 205 transfer case are made by Advance Adapters. You might want to visit their site and price out the adapter and possibly an output shaft. Probably looking at $3-400 minimum for that stuff but check around and price it out, you might find a better deal else where.

You can make the shift linkage work with basic fab skills easily enough. With the 700/4L60 along with the Advance Adapters, you'll have to move the engine forward about 1.5". That's done fairly easy, moving the crossmember and redrilling holes. Lengthen the exhaust where ever you can find a straight section and weld a piece in. Pretty simple.

Some guys move the transfer case backwards. You'll get into other issues like possible driveshaft length changes, cutting the floor because the shifter moves back, if you have a console there could be possible interference there, and I would have had exhaust interference too since I run an H-pipe right behind my transfer case. I found moving the engine forward much easier and less complicated (I was replacing the engine at the same time anyway).

Alot to think about but many here have done it so there should be more people that can easily answer questions or give some other ideas as well.

It's worth while, makes a very nice difference in drivability.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Carsncoffee

Thank you got taking the time to help give some good information. I love this ride even though I find myself putting money in it every few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device