The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
newbe351

Changing back tire on lowered truck?

Due to a series of events, I have fairly steep wedges on the rear leafs of my 66 GMC. I want to install ECE lowering springs and will have to relocate the perches to correct the pinion angle (too far out to correct with shims). I will also need spacers to correct a back-spacing issue with my new rims. The 275/55/17’s will have a very snug fit in the wheel well once it's all said and done. With the tire crammed up into the wheel well and with the additional spacer width, I don't think that I have enough room to be able to pull the rims off of the lug bolts to remove them without them wedging against the fender well. With the relocated perches, I will not be able to go back to my original springs if things don't work out (without a bunch of additional time and money). Will a high-lift bumper jack get the wheel well up enough that I can get the tire out of there to change it (using axle jack now)?

Anyone else have an issue with this? If so, how did you correct it?

Thanks
newbe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
badriand

Re: Changing back tire on lowered truck?

Can't say i have the same exact issue as you but i have bags and it is a tight fit. I have two floor jacks, i use one on the axle to just get wheels off ground just enough to be free from pavement and then i use the other on the bumper to raise the truck up enough to clear fender. Still have to angle the tire a bit to get out.
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Indian113

On a friend of mines street rod we had to remove the bottom shock bolt so the rear end dropped far enough to change tires.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
newbe351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
On a friend of mines street rod we had to remove the bottom shock bolt so the rear end dropped far enough to change tires.
That's what I'm thinking, a high-lift bumper jack and removing the lower shock mount to change a flat.

Hope I'm not on the freeway when all of this happens......

Thanks again
newbe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
forestb

I usually put the jack under the frame on the side that I want to take the tire off of. This will lift the frame up and also put weight on the other tire which will cause the axle on the side of the tire that you are trying to get off to be further away from the frame. It works in my head I have not actually measured to see if it helps. now that I think it trough it might not help what do you all think.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
TopFuel1966

If you haven't already done so you might want to consider rolling up the fender well lip just a little if worse came to worse. I put a couple of jack stands under the rear end and then I use a floor jack under the frame and go up until the weight is off the jack stands. With a 275-60-15 tire on a wheel with a 4.5" backspace I have just enough room to squeeze the wheel in and out without any fender well mods.

Last edited by TopFuel1966; 09-05-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: sp
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
gimmy 64

on my gmc --all short leafs removed and 2 in. shackles i have to jack up rear end so wheel is off the ground and then jack up frame to get tire off--275-60-15.a bumper jack might work but i would not do it if it it an after market bumper. and i would only use it for emergency purposes.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote