The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
81c10

I need exhaust recommendations...

Ok so. I have a 4bbl Whet (soon to be edelbrok or holley) 350/T350 in my swb c10. It has long tube headers and true duals. Converter to glasspack on each side. I don't legally need a converter so those are out. Headers are all dinged up from previous owners install so im thinkin long tubes are too big. Id like shortys maybe hooker or headman (hedman?)...id like a flowmaster super 44 on each side with 2.5 piping. Any alternative suggestions? Bette or worse than super 44's? I want loud sh*t and Borla is not in my price range. Any input from any hot rodder or seasoned car vet or anybody that knows the physics of an exhaust system...H pipe, X pipe...who's had experiences?

Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device
81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
75ChevyGuy
GM Parts Guy

Re: I need exhaust recommendations...

An H or X pipe would be best, but it is alittle difficult getting on under the truck. If your turck is lowered I'd go with 3/4 length headers just so you can tuck the pipes up. If you want loud then go with a Flowmaster 10 series or a dynamax bullit muffler.
75ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
81c10

Its not lowered currently but id like to go 2/3 in the future at most if that helps my options.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
baclay9

From what I understand flowmasters are not the best flowing mufflers out there but they have a good sound. If that is what you are going for than it will sound good.

I couldn't decide on what I wanted either. I ended up going with Spin tech mufflers. Same basic sound as flows but they are suppose to flow a little better. There aren't alot of people running them right now but it seems everyone that does loves them. You can hear them on youtube.

You should probably try to fit a H pipe under there too if you can.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
81c10

That's what I have heard too. Im more concerned with power/flow than sound...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
silvereagle07

You can look into getting mid length headers for a camaro/chevelle. The differeces of H and X pipes are H pipes have a deeper and muscle car rumble at low end and X pipes sound comes out at high end rpm's. The X pipes flow better because of design but they have a raspy sound at low rpm's. If your looking for a loud muffler, go with a short case muffler, but the shorter the louder. I had long tubes, 2.5" aluminized in/out pipes, flowmaster 40's on my first truck and it was super loud. Good luck.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
From what I understand flowmasters are not the best flowing mufflers out there but they have a good sound. If that is what you are going for than it will sound good.

I couldn't decide on what I wanted either. I ended up going with Spin tech mufflers. Same basic sound as flows but they are suppose to flow a little better. There aren't alot of people running them right now but it seems everyone that does loves them. You can hear them on youtube.

You should probably try to fit a H pipe under there too if you can.
From what ive heard I think I'll go with Spin Tech/H pipe. Would you happen to have an audio clip of ur truck?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
baclay9

My truck is in a thousand pieces man. There are lots of them on YouTube. Look for a vehicle that has a similar engine setup as yours. They are going to sound different in a cammed out BBC or SBC than they will in your truck.

For your app (this is just going off the checking around I did) I would go with the spintech sportsman 3000 series of mufflers. They are the equivalent of a 40's series flowmaster. The sportsman 3000 xl are like a 50 series flow sound wise. Good luck, and I think you will be happy with whatever you get.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by baclay9; 03-03-2011 at 09:36 AM.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Billett

Piggybacking off of this thread. I personally hate these types of threads because IMO you should go out and listen to different exhausts at meets and shows etc before you buy, but the passenger side of my exhaust fell off yesterday so I don't really have time for that, no offense intended to the OP, I just didn't want to start a new thread and yours was a similar situation.

Motor is a stock late model 350, (1 piece rear main seal, center bolt valve covers), with ram horns. I plan to keep the ram horns although I'll probably take them off to blast and paint them. I don't need headers since my motor is stock and I'd rather have less heat. Old setup was ram horns to cherry bomb glasspacks over the axle and out the back, no cats.

What I'd like to do is get an H-pipe in there and either super 44's or spintechs. My brother has super 40's on his El camino with a 400 sbc, and I love the sound. I've also heard good things about everyone that's owned a spintech. I'll be driving this truck with a 3 speed manual for about an hour at a time on the highways every weekend. I don't get much above 65, but even that is a pretty high rpm for this engine for that long of a distance. I don't want to kill myself with drone the entire way there. I don't mind a bit of drone, but I want to be able to hear myself think. Every time I see the spintechs mentioned online it is because they are louder than the 44's. I'd much rather have a deeper chest pounding sound. I also realize that they may flow worse, but with a stock 350 I'm not that worried. Just wondering if anyone has ran both and has insight.

My other questions were; I'd like to use a 2.5" pipe to get a deeper sound. I personally think that 2.5" is on the high side for pipe diam. on a stock 350, but I don't think it will kill me vs. 2.25" piping. Finally, I'm thinking of doing turn downs behind the axle. I'd put them at a 45 degree angle so they aren't straight at the ground, because I don't want all the dust and drone. That, or doing tips before the rear tires facing out.

I realize that with a 3 speed I can't get rid of the drone, and I do want a decent sounding setup, but I don't want to sound like my truck is gonna blow up going down the highway. Thanks for input!
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
mongoose

run ultraflows if you want a deep sound....

i can't stress enough how bad a 'performance ehxaust' like flowies/spintech/borlas etc sound on stock motors.. makes them sound like a weak, clapped out 267.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
GM-power

I got a single in/out flowmaster 40 on my truck. Its a mild built motor and it has a real muscle, deep sound to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Krwright

3" pipe with Super 10 single chamber flow masters. I can set off car alarms when I drive down a street with cars parked on both sides. That's with no tailpipes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
76stepsidechevy

Ive got the spintechs with and H pipe and its a healthy sound and my motor really isn't that built. Ive got 2.25 pipe from the headers back including the h pipe and added 3" tail pipes later which gave it a deeper note.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
cory d

i personally really dont like flowmaster, they are by no meens masters of flow and you are just buying a name. i have ridden in trucks with flowmasters and i cant stand it. and 10 times worse with cats. with a stock cam, stock/undersized pipes and a cat you end up with chewbacca that is always bogging. if you want loud just get 2.5" duals and short glass packs
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
meter swinger

I plan on doing spintechs on my 88 CC dually when its turn comes up. I have flowmasters on my 78 GMC that has a 350 , and on my 73 Travelall that has a big block. Not that impressed with the the flowmaters. However I love the Glasspacks I just put on my 59. The sound of that 327 cackling away through those things is pure sex.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
INSIDIOUS '86

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466886

Start things off with looking at this
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
xrcr

I have True dual with FM 40's straight out the back,mild motor,manifolds not headers. I like it, but I'm an old man. Go with sound, unless you are racing, the "flow" is not going to be significant 1 way or the other. If you are racing and have to deal with mufflers, they are totally diff.
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
86c20

on my 80 c30 i have a 454 with 1 7/8 headers to 2.5 pipe to 18 inch summit glasspacks and it sounds like a full out race car. altho it miine as well be just open headers lol. she is vary laud
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
Billett

I hate glasspacks, I was going to get rid of them before my exhaust rusted out anyway it just wasn't a major concern before. I ended up going with 2.5" SS super 44's. I like the way swb trucks look with the tip coming out before the axle but I think on a long bed it just doesn't look quite right, so I'm going to bring them over the axle and drop them out at the rear corners. I'll put up a vid later if you want. I really don't like watching exhaust videos that much because you just can't get a good feel for the sound of the thing. Even if my laptop speakers were better, most people have crappy mics so the sense of power and rumble gets lost.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote