The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
davepl

Rear sway bar... is this going to work?

I picked up a rear sway bar for my '70 402 Longhorn from LMC. Although it was listed for 3/4T with leaf springs, I'm pretty sure it's just a universal unit.

With the truck on the lift and the rear axle all the way down, there's no way the end links could or would reach all the way up to the frame. As you can see in the photo below, I had to mount the sway bar mounts almost -on top- of the axle for them to even have a hope of reaching.

Once the truck's on the ground at ride height, I'll try to adjust it to get the trailing arms of the sway bar about horizontal, but I'm wondering if this thing is going to do its job at all with the mounts in the location I have them. I can't really see why not, but it's definitely not how it was intended to work.

My other option, and perhaps a better one, would be to move the mounts down and fabricate my own end links if I can find the right size bolt and some tubing to use. That's probably my preferred result, but I'm getting weary of having to fabricate every time I buy a non-GM part (OK, whining over).
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: Rear sway bar... is this going to work?

Actually from what I can tell that looks like it will work fine just like it is.
It would help to see a side profile picture so I can see what angle it is at.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
SS Tim

Re: Rear sway bar... is this going to work?

Dave, Here is an installation on a '70 K20, so the driveline is very similar other than the lift. Don't know what brand it is. The truck had been heavily used as a hauler with both gooseneck and ball hitch trailers. Hope it helps some and I agree you need to get the the vehicle's empty weight on it to make a full assessment.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote