The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
bossmanivy

I'm trying to lose a 1/4 of a ton!

Hey guys,

I just was given a 69 c20 2wd to me by my father-in-law. I have been doing so much research on this forum and other websites. I'm trying to drive this thing as soon as possible. I was looking at the different part numbers between a c20 and a c10 on O'Reilly's website. There are some similarities. I don't have alot of $$$$ to buy of the shelf conversions and such so I will be scrounging, hitting the wrecking yards and such. My question is can I swap stock c10 parts (control arms, tie rods, spindles, etc...) onto the c20 frame. I look forward to some suggestions.

Thanks
bossmanivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
LEEVON

Re: I'm trying to lose a 1/4 of a ton!

The answer is yes, absolutely. Your best bet is to find a 1/2 ton donor and take the spindles, control arms and rear end. The ball joints are different. You can also remove the whole front crossmember and bolt up the 1/2 ton unit. My details are sketchy so please look around, there is a FAQ or sticky or how-to on the 1/2 ton conversion.

This is the perfect project for the Craigslist scrounger / budget guy (I can relate).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
bossmanivy

I saw a how to on the ECE conversion. where is the how to on the stock parts swap? thanks man!
bossmanivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If its not in FAQ, look up Staff Member lolife99's profile and read his posts in the Suspension Forum. He has covered the topic several times and is an amazing resource of information.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmanivy View Post
Hey guys,

I just was given a 69 c20 2wd to me by my father-in-law. I have been doing so much research on this forum and other websites. I'm trying to drive this thing as soon as possible. I was looking at the different part numbers between a c20 and a c10 on O'Reilly's website. There are some similarities. I don't have alot of $$$$ to buy of the shelf conversions and such so I will be scrounging, hitting the wrecking yards and such. My question is can I swap stock c10 parts (control arms, tie rods, spindles, etc...) onto the c20 frame. I look forward to some suggestions.

Thanks
You can do it !!!!!!
Parts are everywhere. Good luck. Will check back to see if you have pics. Mine started out as a '66 c20 but I have made a few small changes.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote