The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Clos'84TX
Foom, foom, foom!

350 pull

Hey all, long time member and a long time since I've posted. My C10 has sat with a blown head gasket for too too long. After some years of gathering parts, its time to get to work.!

But, I need some advise here. I want to pull the engine, clean it up, and my fire wall. When pulling is it easier to do with the trans attached? And would yall pull the front clip to get to it all?

Lets hear what everyone says. And again thanks for the everyone's advise and pictures for reference over the years.
long Headers//3.73 rearend gears

Future Mods

3/4 suspension drop
Clos'84TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
UPNADM

Re: 350 pull

If you are going to clean and paint the firewall and the engine bay in general, I say pull the front clip and pull everything out as one.
UPNADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
xrcr

How fast you planning on getting back out. Definately easier if the front end is off. Do you need to pull the tranny? You can do a head gasket in the truck. Just remember once you start it's hard to stop...
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
mrjata

I have pulled the engine/trans together. Remember to plug the tail shaft or you will have fluid all over everywhere. I left front clip on, and sat on the cross member. Good place to hide too.

These older truck are so much easier to work on/with. Lots of room to move in there.
mrjata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
THE "10" SILVERADO

I wouldn't pull out the front clip but that's just me. You will get plently of different opinions here though. Pulling the trans (I think) would also be easier and you can clean it off if you'd like while you are at it. Just pull the radiator so you don't punch a hole in it and it gives you some extra inches that could really come in handy.

On the "plug the transmission". Plug it and like duct tape that thing on! My plug came out right when I was guiding the trans over the core support, needless to say my pants got quite a soaking.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
mrjata

Yup! Been there with the soaked pants. I didn't pull the radiator 'cause I didn't want to discharge the AC (that doesn't work anyway). Extra hands are a big help. Just go slow. Mark, tape, label and take pictures just incase. should be a no brainer.

Oh, I did put a little piece of plywood over the top of the radiator since my picker wouldn't lift any higher. Just wanted to protect the radiator. Redneck Engineering

p.s., have extra oil dry and rags
mrjata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I would leave the trans in if it was me and the front clip on. I just climb over in the engine bay and stand in it to clean there is plenty of room for me i'm not a small guy, and lots less work in the end.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
mopar346

Leave the tranny if no work is to be done to it, if you are gonna work on it then I would drop/stab it from the bottom for easy of lifting the engine straight up. Remove the radiator it's not connected to the A/C that I have ever seen, the condenser is so I will typically remove the compressor with the hoses still attached and lay it out of the way. I also leave the front end on it. Remove the hood for cherry picker clearance and if it is too tall either switch to smaller tires if you have them and/or let the air out of the fronts. Trucks are big and easy to get to everything.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote