The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
MyDream55

56 question regarding starting

Hello,

So i got a 56 with a 350 and here's what's going on I can let the truck sit for 2 weeks or so without driving it and it will start right up with no issues. I take it out for a long drive or drives, I'll stop off somewhere and turn it off, and then it seems like it is almost dead when I go to restart it.

It only happens when the truck has been running and is warm. It never overheats or gets too hot. A guy I know told me that it could be the headers are real close to the starter and its getting too hot. Is this possible? How do I rectify this issue?

Thanks a lot
MyDream55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
meter swinger

Re: 56 question regarding starting

Use the search function on here and put in "ford solenoid". There are a couple threads with good info. I would post the link but im on my dumbphone
i have a 78 GMC that does it too, just haven't had time to do the mod to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
mknittle

A heat shield may help. that is a common problem and most of these engines had a heat shield from the factory.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
Use the search function on here and put in "ford solenoid". There are a couple threads with good info. I would post the link but im on my dumbphone
i have a 78 GMC that does it too, just haven't had time to do the mod to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dumbphone wy wifes smart phone does so many things and none of them well.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
OrrieG

Heat soak is the term. Get a heat shield and wrap the header pipes near the starter with the heat resistant stuff. Old VW's had the same issues and used the Ford solenoids too. You might also look at some of the smaller race type starters too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

Those are good sugestions. An other thing to look at is the bat cables. Some of the cheap replacements can't carry the load. If it is still original the bat ground cable goes to body in back of the bat. Then a cable hooks to the body & goes to the engine. Make sure those ground cables are clean & tight.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
mr48chev

I'd go with both suggestions.

The Ford solenoid add on is real simple and those solenoids aren't at all expensive.

A copper strap between the large top post that the battery cable runs to and the small "S" post will take care of that end. You take the purple start wire off the Delco solenoid.
I'm not sure if the start (purple) wire has enough length to reach the Ford solenoid on the inner fender well so you my have to add some wire to it.
Mount the Ford Solenoid on the inner fender where you want it and run a battery cable from the + post to the post on the Ford Solenoid as shown in this photo.

The wire on our left is to the battery and the one on the right goes to the Delco starter solenoid. The small wire is the start wire.

You can buy a kit for around 50 or more bucks or go to the parts house and get a solenoid for a mid 70's Ford pickup (the same solenoid fits about 40 year models of Fords) and flatten out a piece of copper tubing to make the bar from post to post on the solenoid on the trucks starter.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Something else to check....
I had the same problem; SBC with headers, cranked fine when cold, then very slowly when at operating temp.
I was about to buy a high-torque mini starter, then I thought just for giggles, I better check the timing first. Turned out, that's all it was, outta time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote