The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
67short&rusty

T5 tranny in a 67 c10

I have been reading a lot about the s10 t5 tranny swap. My question is
If I use a camero t5 with a tail shaft from a s10 t5 will it all bolt right up to
My crate 350? Or will I need to still get a different bell housing? Right now
I have a th400 in it with a 12 bolt rear and 373 gears. So freeway driving
Is not so good. Also what kind of cross member will I need for it? Any advice
Would be great. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
67short&rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
j ripper

Re: T5 tranny in a 67 c10

Search t5 swap. There is a lot of info here on doing it. I have considered doing it as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
thaubol

im in the middle of a similiar build - ive got a 350 in the truck and ive pulled a 305 from a monte carlo i had around so i can play with each and get the best fuel economy out of the truck. i had bought a t5 out of a camaro to put behind one of them and the bolt pattern on the bell housing that came with it will fit a chevy small block.
thaubol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
thaubol

also, speedway has a universal cross member kit that i plan on getting and making my own. they have a few different drops, so figure out what drop youll need and if you have the means you can make your own.
thaubol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
john
member #16

Welcome to the board. heres a thread by brad that has alot of swap info.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
dohyde34
Account Suspended

I had a t5 in my camaro and loved it......well until i put a 350 with little more power. It didnt last long.
dohyde34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
hugger6933

From my understanding, and I am planning this swap on one of my trucks as well, is the Camaro T-5 will go into the factory bellhousing and then use the Camaro clutch . Some have fabbed up a rear crossmember some have run without one plenty of miles without problems. I have a Camaro T-5 and a S10 T-5 to morph together to make the one with the shorther shifter local. I am not sure on the use of a rear crossmember however I may wait to decide on what motor and how much is done to it on if I need to add one or not. As of now it is a stock327 and if I leave it stockish[just a HEI and a set of headers anintake and 600 Edelbrock] I probably won't add anything out back. I also have a van tilt that I shaved the shifter "hump" off of and slicked it up to look like a factory tilt floor shift column that I will install at the same time. [I have to have tilt for the room] I am 6"3 and 385 so my belly needs a place to ride as well
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
jocko

here's my thread - granted it's a 66 install, but same considerations for combo's etc.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069

hugger - you are correct for your install - no spacer needed (one IS needed if using an S10 trans main case - different i/p shaft overall lenght from the trans' mounting surface) and use Camaro clutch (and i'd recommend pressure plate/release bearing combo). As for rear crossmember - if your stock bell housing is mounted to the frame with bell housing mounts, then you should not use a rear trans crossmember. If you have a setup wherein you have no bell housing mounts (and currently have a rear trans crossmember installed) then, yes, you'd need a rear crossmember for the trans. It's an either/or approach - but don't use bell housing mounts WITH a rear trans crossmember - not designed to have all 3 mount points (i.e. including engine mounts, which you must have ). Note that newer setups tend to have the rear trans crossmember - and that is why many assume you should use one when you swap - but not the case, only use one in case you have no bell housing mounts for the bell.

Btw, your setup, once morphed together, is the best of both worlds - S10 stick location for use with a bench seat and Camaro main case ease of installation (no spacer, etc). If you happen to have a WC T5 from the Camaro, then that's even better. Many more Camaro T5s were WC's than were S10s. Normally only the latter year S10s had a WC T5 in them - around '93 models I believe. Another consideration is mechanical speedo connection - later trans's had electronic hookup and need a mech speedo drive installed.

As for how well it will hold up, really has nothing to do with the engine torque available to you, it only has to do with how you apply it. In other words, the T5 will work fine behind a big block with 800 hp if you drive it perfectly normally, while it may disintegrate if you drop the clutch for a burnout with a bone stock straight 6....

Last edited by jocko; 09-09-2012 at 08:32 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
dohyde34
Account Suspended

Your completely right. I was young and had a little power. Didnt take long at all
dohyde34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
jborders

I think you will definately want a rear trans crossmember. the first one i made for mine. i just made it to support the tranny where it was naturally sitting. when i started driving it i had some vibrations. i figured out that it had my driveline angles all out of whack. engine was tilted about 8deg instead of 2or 3deg. so of course my pinion angle was all screwed up. so i made another and issue was fixed. anyway i would think without a rear crossmember the weight of the trans would tilt the engine to far back imo. i like the t5 though no issues for me.
jborders is offline   Reply With Quote