The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
72step

I6 230 Damper not bolted in???

I was starting to prepare a rebuilt 230 I6 to install into a 1965 C10 today. I ran into a question on the damper. I noticed the crankshaft on front doesn't have a threaded hole to bolt in the damper like I'm used to seeing on small block chevy engines i've worked on in the past. Do these I6 engine's dampers only go pressed in?

That leads me to my second question. The truck used to belong to my dad. He had the engine rebuilt a long time ago and it was just stored. Well the damper that I had in the pile of parts turns out to be too big for the 230. Likely off a small block we worked on in the past. Being this engine was rebuilt top to bottom at a machine shop, wouldn't they usually install the damper on there being that's how they balance the crank??? I guess I now have to set out to find a damper and just get it pressed in somehow? Thanks for any info.....
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
old cruiser

Re: I6 230 Damper not bolted in???

they don,t have a bolt they are a press fit. I just knock them on with a hammer and a lump of wood making sure to hit it on straight. When I rebuilt my 230 I got a damper from The Damper Doctor. Great to deal with and even sent it to me quickly at a fair price and thats to Australia ,
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
72step

Thanks for the info buddy!
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

My recommendation would be to warm the damper up on hot water to the boiling point, and at the same time put some ice on the crank snout. Then quickly take the damper out of the hot water and slide it onto the crank snout. It should slide right on, but a few taps with a soft hammer may be needed. Driving the damper on cold with a block of wood and a big hammer is very hard on the thrust bearing on the rear main.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote